Pygmy cory

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well you will be selling them, right? Pygmy cories are really small, so it would take a while for them to fill up the tank.

That's true. Could I get a centerpiece fish for the tank or will it eat the babies?

If you are serious about breeding, you will want to have them by themselves. You could have some shrimp in there if you want.

I will tell you that corys will eat their eggs. So you will want to separate them in a net or box where the adults can't reach, but with a gentle water flow.

I do have 3 ghost shrimp in there currently. And will they eat all the eggs? I read online that they don't eat them

I don't trust Ghost Shrimp. I've seen some eat Guppy fry. They are often quite predatory.

RCS are fine with fry. Check Planet Catfish for Cory breeders. One of my club members uses 20Longs for breeding. He has planted sand tanks. He puts a pile of little tubes to make hiding places for fry. He has about 25 ? Adult C hastatus in a 20g. Water changes twice weekly.

Yes, Cories usually do eat eggs. I think he moves his breeding group from tank to tank and lets the eggs hatch without adults present.

Serious breeders use sponge filters and no other fish. Or at least a sponge over the intake.

Alright, I'll move my ghost shrimp to the main tank and I like the tube idea. Should I also purchase some java ferns? I only have a few fake plants in there at the moment.

Alright, I'll move my ghost shrimp to the main tank and I like the tube idea. Should I also purchase some java ferns? I only have a few fake plants in there at the moment.

They love live plants and JFs are easy. Just tie or glue to driftwood or rocks. I have 4 types of JF. Reg, Narrow Leaf, Windelov, and Needle Leaf.

Alright thanks, my local petsmart and petco don't have them. I have one more store to check but would any other kind of cories do good in there? Like julii?

If you're trying to breed pygmy's get two males per female, if you can identify them. The females will be plumper when viewed from above and may be a little larger than the male. I would go with 12 in a 10-gallon. Feed live foods after a water change and make sure the new water is a little cooler than the existing water. Some people time their water changes to coincide with a barometric pressure drop, as happens when a thunderstorm passes through, but that has not made a difference when I've bred other species. Most cories breed in the same "T" fashion.

I have never seen pygmy cories at any of the popular big-box retailers. You are more likely to find them at specialized shops or online. Try to support your local fish stores, if possible.

Good luck.

David

If you're trying to breed pygmy's get two males per female, if you can identify them. The females will be plumper when viewed from above and may be a little larger than the male. I would go with 12 in a 10-gallon. Feed live foods after a water change and make sure the new water is a little cooler than the existing water. Some people time their water changes to coincide with a barometric pressure drop, as happens when a thunderstorm passes through, but that has not made a difference when I've bred other species. Most cories breed in the same "T" fashion.

I have never seen pygmy cories at any of the popular big-box retailers. You are more likely to find them at specialized shops or online. Try to support your local fish stores, if possible.

Good luck.

David

All great advice David :)

I'd just like to add to it. Some people use rain water for their cool water change to spur on breeding. The change in cool soft water also helps the Corys get in the mood. Females will be larger when full grown (although I'm sure full grown Pygmys are hard to come by). Get some broad leaf plants like Java Fern and Anubias for them to have a spot to deposit their eggs, although sometimes if they don't have that they'll just deposit on the glass!

I've seen some Pygmaeous and Habrosus at Pet Supplies Plus before, but smaller LFS would be your best bet.

If I don't find them. What should some alternatives be? And thanks for all the help. I got my tank set up yesterday. Now I just need plants, it's my first time using sand and I really like it

Attachments

• image-750424980.jpg
    image-750424980.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 42
Back
Top Bottom