Q: PVC's use in aquaria?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kendodblg

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,

I'm in the process of plumbing my 75g aquarium and adding a new AquaC skimmer. regrettably there is far too little room under the aquarium's cabinet for the skimmer and my sump is a little too small to handle the skimmer and pump. So I need to run a few feet of hard line to the skimmers and back to the sump.

Is white PVC tubing acceptable for aquarium use? I thought I read somewhere that there are chemicals in the PVC that can leach into the water supply after time. The local home depot also has black "ABS" pipe but again, I'm not sure if this poses a problem of chemical leaching. Also, are the PVC and or ABS joint solvents safe for aquarium use?

Thanks!
Ken

I like to use the schedule 40 as opposed to the schedule 80 -- greater inside diameter = less flow restriction

the ABS piping is harder to cut but is made for water...like drinkin water...the inside has a glossy surface. Its alot more expensive then stardard PVC....
I wouldnt suggest using the cleaning solution and pvc glue

pearsont74 said:
the ABS piping is harder to cut but is made for water...like drinkin water...the inside has a glossy surface. Its alot more expensive then stardard PVC....
I wouldnt suggest using the cleaning solution and pvc glue
i would disagree with the primer/glue comment. most pvc primers and glues are safe for use in potable water systems, it should say such on the label. if the FDA is putting their approval on it for use on piping that will provide water for human consumption then i would say it is okay for use in the tanks... plus, how else are you going to join the parts?

~mike

Back
Top Bottom