QT need Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

you&me

Aquarium Advice Regular
MY fish have ick and there are in qt (move them today)
after adding copper every thing jump HI

salinity 1.018
PH 8.8
ammonia 0.50
nitrate 20
copper 0.1

what is going on?

What kind/brand of copper did you use? 0.1 mg/l is also not high enough to eliminate the parasite.

Most forms of copper will destroy the biofilter so the numbers are not that bad. The pH will have nothing to do with the treatment though. Best solution is dilution. With most treatments, you need to do almost daily water changes to reduce ammonia and nitrite. Be sure the new water is premedicated to match the QT water thereby maintaing the treatment level. Keep some SW prepared ahead so it has time to properly stabalize chemically. New salt will harm the fish. I would also bring up the salinity closer to 1.020 over the next week, not all at once.

Cheers
Steve

You should also use a SeaChem Ammonia Alert or SeaChem Ammonia test kit to measure the Ammonia levels because the copper in the water makes regular test kits read wrong. The SeaChem products read “Free” Ammonia.

I’d also advise using the SeaChem Cupramine with the SeaChem copper test kit as it is the only one that can be tested and it gives you step by step instructions so you don’t over or under dose. I’ve used the product with great success. I like Hypo treatment over copper but my fish had Marine Velvet so I had no choice but to use it. Also, if you read some of the threads on this site you will see that I and others have been having problem with ich break outs even after leaving the tank fallow for 6 week. I and a few others are going to try for 8+ weeks to kick this ich phenomenon. You can check out the “Ick is back” & “can't believe it....ich again. I have about had it.” Threads for more information

I’d also advise using the SeaChem Cupramine with the SeaChem copper test kit as it is the only one that can be tested and it gives you step by step instructions so you don’t over or under dose.
Agree 100%, have used it myself with good results.

robocop said:
You should also use a SeaChem Ammonia Alert or SeaChem Ammonia test kit to measure the Ammonia levels because the copper in the water makes regular test kits read wrong. The SeaChem products read “Free” Ammonia.

I’d also advise using the SeaChem Cupramine with the SeaChem copper test kit as it is the only one that can be tested and it gives you step by step instructions so you don’t over or under dose. I’ve used the product with great success. I like Hypo treatment over copper but my fish had Marine Velvet so I had no choice but to use it. Also, if you read some of the threads on this site you will see that I and others have been having problem with ich break outs even after leaving the tank fallow for 6 week. I and a few others are going to try for 8+ weeks to kick this ich phenomenon. You can check out the “Ick is back” & “can't believe it....ich again. I have about had it.” Threads for more information

Yha I know I did read that one that's by quarryshark thread

copper name is copper power, (It seems don't know body know the brand)
Q: I brought Red Sea copper test labs, how do you feel about this test kit?

I talk to one of the local pet store and ask about ick, were ick comfrom
and they toll me ick is like a cold is it this true?

I did running around buying worng thing, weast money after money because what local store tell me I will tell you one thing iam not going to the store unless I have to buy some thing for my fish. I will buy SeaChem Cupramine, SeaChem Ammonia Alert.

And to you quarryshark and Others thank you for help. :wink:

copper name is copper power, (It seems don't know body know the brand)
Q: I brought Red Sea copper test labs, how do you feel about this test kit?
Not sure if the kit will work. Best to get the kit that matches the brand you use.
I talk to one of the local pet store and ask about ick, were ick comfrom
and they toll me ick is like a cold is it this true?
Could not be furthur from the truth. Here is a good article on ich (not sure if I sent you this already.)
http://www.petsforum.com/personal/trevor-jones/marineich.html

Yeah….I’ve learned not to got to the LFS for advice because most of the people don’t have the actual experience in dealing with a running aquarium like to folks on this form. Most of the fish are probably sold to us before they actually display signs of parasite infections. Even the best fish stores in town will not know all that the experts online will know. You should take caution in where you buy also. If the store is not well kept and the tanks look suspect then I would not dare buy there…believe me had a very bad experience with that. I’ll pay a little more to not get some jacked up fish. Also, pet store that specialize in other things like petsmart and petco are usually bad ideas because there staff is usually dumb to the aquatic hobby and there fish are notorious for infections. My best advice is to read read and keep reading. The more reading you do up front will have you money and heart ach in the end. Believe me I’m speaking for experience. I’ve had my share of costly mistake. I was hardheaded and had to learn the hard way. Don’t go on impulse, go on knowledge.

Back
Top Bottom