quarantining clown loaches???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

piao liang yu

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok, went on vacation, came back to some dead stock even though I thought I took necessary precautions and had someone feeding them (I was treating for ich immediately prior) The deaths included my three angelicus botia loaches. I have now gotten everything healthy again and the tank is good again. I need to replace my loaches as I like the looks of them plus they keep the snail population under control. I figure this time I will go with clown loaches, but I am finding conflicting information on whether to qt them or not. Some of what I am finding says it stresses them more to be in a tank without other fish and etc. I was going to get three at the same time. If I get them should I qt them first and if so should I add get some fish to qt with them? Like some guppies and platies? Any thoughts?

One reputable mom and pop lfs says quartantining is overrated and does more harm than good. Blew my mind he said that, but after researching I am finding sources of information that agree with him at least on some species. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks.

60 gallon 48"x13" and two feet top to bottom. driftwood and moderately planted. Dwarf Gourami, neon tetras, guppies at this point in time.

Quarantine clown loaches is almost a necessity. In addition once you've got them other fish should be quarantined to avoid future ich outbreaks. Also I hope you're aware that you will need to upgrade to a MUCH bigger tank in the future to cater for clown loaches.

I would not recommend a single clown loach on a long term in a 60 gallon aquarium. If it is a short term, it might work, but not when he reaches his full size. If the 60 gallon isn't you're main tank, then I would like to know if you have another tank where you were expecting to put the additional fish.

I would not recommend a single clown loach on a long term in a 60 gallon aquarium. If it is a short term, it might work, but not when he reaches his full size. If the 60 gallon isn't you're main tank, then I would like to know if you have another tank where you were expecting to put the additional fish.

actually i was initially planning on three of them for my 60 gallon. upon further research i have elected to stick with the angelicus botia loaches. they do not get quite as big.

actually i was initially planning on three of them for my 60 gallon. upon further research i have elected to stick with the angelicus botia loaches. they do not get quite as big.
Good idea! Clown Knife are huge fish, not to forget they have even bigger mouth and can gulp something you wouldn't even think possible down.
Good luck with you're next purchases.

Good idea! Clown Knife are huge fish, not to forget they have even bigger mouth and can gulp something you wouldn't even think possible down.
Good luck with you're next purchases.

thanks. any pointers on best way to quarantine the angelicus botia loaches i plan to get tomorrow? can i just do one at a time without causing them too much stress? what is best to put in with them for hiding?

thanks. any pointers on best way to quarantine the angelicus botia loaches i plan to get tomorrow? can i just do one at a time without causing them too much stress? what is best to put in with them for hiding?
What do you mean by putting them one at a time? And what's the hiding thing?
Sorry I'm a bit confused.

What do you mean by putting them one at a time? And what's the hiding thing?
Sorry I'm a bit confused.

I want to add three angelicus botia to my 60 gallon. I am going to quarantine them first before putting them in the 60 gallon. They are impossible to find around here and the one place that keeps them says they may only have one at this time. Based on what i have learned when they are not kept in groups of three or more they need plenty of hiding places. In fact i understand they need plenty of hiding places in general.

So, does that clarify things for you?

I want to add three angelicus botia to my 60 gallon. I am going to quarantine them first before putting them in the 60 gallon. They are impossible to find around here and the one place that keeps them says they may only have one at this time. Based on what i have learned when they are not kept in groups of three or more they need plenty of hiding places. In fact i understand they need plenty of hiding places in general.

So, does that clarify things for you?
Yes. So for hiding spaces, it could be anything from caves, to plants. I suggest something they can take cover in, that's dark, and that cover them from seeing you, vice-versa. Though, you should ask when they will get more stock of these fish. I also got some info that they like to be keps in groups of 4 or more.
It's all about how you want you're fish to feel. I suggest waiting for more stock arrives if you don't want to stress the poor fish. If not, try making him feel comfortable, and try not to rush on him, keeping lights off. If this isn't clear enough, tell me what you would like me to clarify and i will do my best.

Back
Top Bottom