Question Before Upgrading Lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lanc1988

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I recently bought a new 60 gallon aquarium and I would like to upgrade the lighting system soon so I have more options of plants than just java ferns. Currently it just has 2 T8 bulbs which isn't very bright at all.

I am considering getting the "Aquatic Life Light T5 HO 2-Lamp, 48-Inch" from amazon but I wanted to make sure it isn't going to give me too much light where I will have to mess with CO2, etc or have big problems with algae.

I don't mind if I will need to start using root tabs or a liquid fertilizer like Seachem Flourish Excel.. I just don't want to create a lot of extra maintenance.

More Details:
Substrate: pool filter sand
Aquarium dimensions: 48 3/8" wide 12 7/8" deep 24 7/8" high

Thanks!

Being that your tank is 24" tall that fixture should give you medium light. There are plenty of plants you could get that won't require CO2 with that light. Crypts, swords, Anubias, and many stem plants only require med light. Myriophylium, Limnophilia, Wisteria are a few that come to mind. Does that fixture have the built in timer? I have the Quad T5 HO Aquaticlife and it does. If not, get it on a timer so you can control your photoperiod to where algae is not a problem. Some good websites to research plants and light requirements are theplantedtank.com, and extraplant.com. Also Peabody's Paradise.com Good luck, OS.

It does not have a timer built in but I have a timer that I will be using. I was just mainly concerned that it may have been too much light but as long as it will just bring me up to medium light I guess it will be fine.

Since you have the same light (except the quad version instead of dual), does it mount in a way that will allow me to have glass top covers so I don't have an open aquarium?

Yes. the legs sit where you can slide the glass top beneath it. The legs don't sit inside the top frame but on top of it. Being it's a dual, it will be narrow enough to slide back enough to open the front hinge of your top for feeding. My quad is so wide I have to slide it back to where the back part sits on top of my HOB before I can open my top.
They are really quality fixtures with great reflectors. I think you'll be pleased. OS.

And if the ambient light from the fixture, especially if you are using a glass top, becomes bothersome (blinding you as you approach the tank), hit up Old Scales on tips for making a light baffle. It solved a problem I had with light reflecting off the glass top.

That was another concern I had about changing from the standard hood lighting system to one that stands a couple inches above the tank.. I would definitely be interested in ways of keeping the light from shining in peoples face when viewing the tank.

OH Yeah! I forgot about that. Thanks Fresh, glad it helped you. Yes Lanc, if you have glare from the fixture as you look at your tank, let me know(PM) and I'll send you pics of a cheap way to fix it. OS.

Back
Top Bottom