Question on algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

e burna

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 10 gallon tank that sits close to a window. It does not ever get "direct" sun, but gets soft sunlight throughout the day. The tank seems constantly to be growing the green algae on the glass, and it gets on the gravel at the bottom as well. I clean it out several times a week by taking a paper towel along the glass, and normally when I do my weekly water change I use a gravel syphon. Is there anyway to slow the growth down? Is it because of all the soft sunlight it gets, or could there be other reasons. I have a 29 gallon tank downstairs that gets the same algae, but not NEARLY as bad. There are live plants in the tank downstairs. I also have it set for plant growth, but the one upstairs didn't have any live plants, and I went ahead and added 1 just to try and see if it would slow down the algae growth, which it hasn't. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks for reading.

If possible, check all your levels and post them. Also, tell us what kind of lighting you are running. IMO, from the information you have given, the sunlight may be the cause, but there are many other variables to consider.
What do you mean by soft sunlight?

It's a 10 gallon tank, just your basic black light that comes with the set up. When I say "soft light" I mean it's not direct sunlight, but just the natural sunlight that lightens the room. I noticed today the water is VERY cloudy, and was going to do a blackout for 4 days as suggested, changing 20% of water at beginning of blackout and end of blackout, but what about feeding? Do I feed during a blackout, or can the fish sustain this? Are you supposed to remove fish during a blackout? THanks for reading.

e burna said:
what about feeding? Do I feed during a blackout, or can the fish sustain this? Are you supposed to remove fish during a blackout? THanks for reading.

I updated my webpage to deal with these common questions. Here's the basics of the blackout.

Method No. 1
The blackout method. Turn off CO2 and add an airstone if available. Your fish and plants will be fine during this short period of time. When doing a blackout follow this procedure exactly.

Day one.

1) Feed your fish. Wait one hour, then do a 50% water change.

Also day one.

2) Cover the tank completely with towels, blankets, or garbage bags so that no light whatsoever gets into the tank...all sides and top must be covered.

Day two.

3) Leave the tank alone...completely alone. Do not change any water, do not feed your fish, and do not even peek to see if the green water is going away during the blackout period. The tank must have complete darkness and no feedings during the blackout period.

Day three.

3) Leave the tank alone...completely alone. Do not change any water, do not feed your fish, and do not even peek to see if the green water is going away during the blackout period. The tank must have complete darkness and no feedings during the blackout period.

Day four.

Day five.

4) At the end of the blackout period do another 50% water change and lightly feed your fish again. Also address any nutrient deficiencies you may have at this time. Remove the airstone and restart your CO2 injection if using such.

Seven days after day five.

5) Do another 50% water change one week later, then resume you normal water changing routine thereafter and feedings.

BUT, the blackout method is limited to being effective against BGA and Green Water Algae. Other types are algae are usually not eliminated with a blackout.

Back
Top Bottom