Question on Current African Cichlid Stock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Boilerwxman

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Very exciting day for me as I went and purchased half the stock for my 75 gallon tank after I completed my fishless cycle.

Here is what I currently have:
4 Electric Yellow Lab
2 Ruby Red Peacocks (Male/Female)
1 German Red
1 Electric Blue
1 Red Tail Shark
1 Bristle Nose Pleco
2 Demasoni

The LFS owner told me this would be an "OK" community but after I got home I did some homework, it appears I may have a problem with the Demasoni...

I only have 2, and most say I need no less than 12. I also saw where Demasoni are very aggressive and don't get along well with peacocks. My main fish is our large German Red Peacock $25 and the 2 Demasoni cost me $30.

Here is my question: Should I return the Demasoni and get some other peacocks or other kind of cichlids that would be better for this community? My only problem is the drive back to the LFS is over 100 miles and a hour/ forty-five minute drive. I just don't want any of my fish hurt or killed because of this mistake... Thank you

Yes return at least one of the damesoni or you will soon have only one anyway.You can keep one without problems but not two that will mean certain death for one of them.

Thanks, I may return both and get either more Labs or more peacocks. Here are their scientific names:
4 Electric Yellow Lab (Labidochromis caeruleu)
2 Ruby Red Peacocks (Aulonocara) (Male/Female)
1 German Red (Aulonocara)
1 Electric Blue (Sciaenochromis ahli)
1 red tail shark
1 Bristle Nose pleco
2 (Pseudotropheus) demasoni

Johanni are nice too, maybe look into aratus as you get down the road as well :)
Sounds like a really nice tank you got goin

Jacobsal91 said:
Johanni are nice too, maybe look into aratus as you get down the road as well :)
Sounds like a really nice tank you got goin

With peacocks that's terrible advice.Johanni and Auratus are some of the meanest cichlids around and would bully the peacocks probably to death.
If you want peacocks then the labs may work (Can't guarantee it though) they are still mbuna and meaner than peacocks.But my advice would be stick with the peacocks.

+3 to that,the Johanni are beautiful fish but will almost certainly claim the entire tank as their territory...had one in my setup briefly & he wouldn't eat for chasing everything in sight..ended up rehoming him,as I tried to net him he even fought the net..the peacocks should work with labs..good luck

I have a Yellow Lab and Peacock and the Yellow Lab is the Peacock's shadow and vice versa. They love each other's company. They're fun to watch.

Back
Top Bottom