Question on MTS.... Pics added 10/5/06

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lonewolfblue

Aquarium Advice Addict
Does nitrite affect MTS? Reason I'm asking is I just have had an interesting experience here. After redoing my tank, I now have some nitrite readings. And just now, all the MTS are starting to surface. I did not think I had that many, lol. I see almost just MTS and no Eco, lol. Must be over 10,000 of them, lol. Gonna add some to my 10G planted tanks, as they don't have any yet. :)

Edit:
Pics added...
75g519.jpg

75g520.jpg

75g521.jpg

75g522.jpg

75g523.jpg

wow, apparently the answer to your question is yes.. That or you pissed them off with the remodeling and they are raising up to start a revolt! Watch out tonight, put kitty on snail patrol!

Could be they are just taking advantage of some easy food readily exposed on the surface from plant rearrangement.

i think ive heard of mts surviving bleach treatments so.. im sure they'll be okay.

Perhaps it is a reduction in the food supply under the substrate, because of the plants being pulled and that pulling a lot of mulm and such, which assumedly was vacced.

Any water issues does surface them. I have seen it first hand.

Many of mine also come out when I move stuff around and gravel vac. I don't have that high of a population because my Yo Yo's keep it and check.

Well, update. There's even more out, lol. Could I possibly have an infestation? LOL. Like maybe in the 20k range? lol.

lol.......

As for loaches, I don't think that will have affect if I got some. I got tons in my 55G as well, and never see any empty shells. And I've got 3 yoyo's, 2 striped loaches, and 5 skunk loaches. All Botias. And the MTS thrive.

Wow, only my big ones make it. I always thought that the shells were to hard but I never see little ones. I moved a few big ones to my betta tank, and BOOM.

Not to get off topic but what is the big fish? It looks really neato...

The one with the red stripe? That's a Roseline Shark. They are fairly expensive as well.

And in the first picture, the fish to the right of the cave is a Bolivian Ram.

Lonewolfblue said:
The one with the red stripe? That's a Roseline Shark. They are fairly expensive as well.

And in the first picture, the fish to the right of the cave is a Bolivian Ram.

Never seen a Roseline Shark, very beautiful.

Also, I've never seen a Bolivian Ram that blue. Is it just the picture or is the Ram really that color?

Lonewolfblue said:
That's the true colors.....

He's an adult, almost 3.5 inches.

All I ever see are the pale pink ones, never anything close to that! Must all be juvies then I guess.

i always thought that bolivians were the "ugly" like burks said, im used to the pale pink ones, yours look great.

wolf, in your "infested tank" do you ever gravel vac, or how do you clean with all those snails in the gravel? just if they get in your way, they get gravel vacced

Back
Top Bottom