Question on starting a tank from existing one.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JMac24

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So the 70gal planted has been set up for about 6 months now. Water tests good. We are fighting algae blooms but otherwise good to go.

We started with Neons. Added some Headlight/Taillight tetras. Then on to Angels etc. The Angels are getting big enough that they are picking on the neons. Im wondering if I go pick up a 25 Gal and when doing a PWC if I fill the 25 gal with that water. Use one of the filters from the 70 (has 4) would it be feasable to add the neons within a few days? Would I need to move gravel as well or would the current filter/water have enough good bacteria in it?

Thanks!

Dont move the water it will not help. No bacteria in the water. Moving one of the filters would probably be enough to cycle the smaller tank. Just keep an eye on the levels and be prepared to change water. You could move a plant or some decorations as well just to be sure.

Could also move a little of the gravel over too. If you do move some water over, use water that you did a gravel vac, as it will have a bunch of bacteria. And yes, also move one of the filters over. I did a fishless cycle on my 55G, and when I did the gravel vac on another cycled tank and added it, the cycle completed a few days later. It helps having a cycled tank when starting a new tank. :)

Move a filter over from the established tank. Or move the biomedia from one of the established tanks filters over to the new filter for the new tank. Or run the new tanks filter on the established tank for a month. Either of these techniques will provide you with an instant biofilter. If you move enough media from the established tank over, you can go to full stock right away, or half full to play it safe. No need to move water over. No need to move the gravel over either, if you move over enough bio-substrate from the established tank. Anyone with an established tank can have an instant cycle, which probably contributes to Multiple Tank Syndrome!

Back
Top Bottom