Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jakester334

Aquarium Advice Regular
Just returned from my local fish store with some live plants that I purchased( cant remember there names because im horrible with names ). Anyways when I put the bag in the water to start acclimating the plants etc.......I noticed movement. Low and behold theres about 3-4 red cherry shrimp in the bag that I guess were attached to the plants.

Now getting to my question. Will these cherry shrimp do ok in my tank with the angelfish and GBR? Or should I remove them and take them back?I really dont want to keep them if there just gonna become food ya know.

They may survive, but its likely they will be eaten. In theory, with enough hiding places they could survive, but often thats not how it works. If you aren't attached to them you can always try it, but its up to you. If you really care about them not being eaten, I suggest returning them. I have only ever heard of a few people who have luck keeping rcs with fish like rams and angels. So, its possible, but it often doesn't work.

They are about probably 1/4 of a inch.Im not attached to them really. But I really dont want them to be a snack for my fish lol. So far the fish are'nt really paying them any attention.Ill give it a day and if I see them getting attacked I guess ill try and capture them and take them back. Thanks for the help.

I'd say just try it. If they get eaten, it's a healthy and yummy snack for your fish.

Cichlids with shrimp is not a good idea in my opinion. The LFS probably won't want them back to be honest. Why take back 3 small shrimp that aren't even a sellable size and risk contaminating their tanks from whatever you might have in their tanks (probably how they would see it). I say pull the shrimp out and put them in a small bowl of .5 gallons or larger with some plants and they will grow and possibly breed for you.

Cichlids with shrimp is not a good idea in my opinion. The LFS probably won't want them back to be honest. Why take back 3 small shrimp that aren't even a sellable size and risk contaminating their tanks from whatever you might have in their tanks (probably how they would see it). I say pull the shrimp out and put them in a small bowl of .5 gallons or larger with some plants and they will grow and possibly breed for you.

sounds like a plan. Ill try this and see how it works. Thanks

They'll be eaten. For sure. I agree, start a little shrimp tank. You can get a little 1 gal tank for about $10 bucks at walmart, they make fine shrimp tanks. :)

Haha, totally true. I have a dad that lives away whose into fish keeping, that's where a lot of stuff came from. Haha

Back
Top Bottom