R/O water systems........

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mandi

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have decided to purchase a reverse osmosis system to help with our water issues (I like soft/acidic water fish - our water is very hard and alkaline). I was just wondering if anyone here uses or has used one and, if so, if you would share your insight as far as whether or not it is worth it, brands you like or dislike and overall satisfaction with using it.

I have one but I think it is a local company. Its fairly important to have a water softener before your RO unit otherwise the membranes get clogged up really fast (if you have hard water). I recommend the use of KCl instead of NaCl for ion exchange it is not as hard on the environment. Mine is a drinking water version but I use it for the aquarium.

I am so glad to have one because I drink tons of water but I think my fish & plants are glad too :) . We have never had any problems with the system (Well one repair for a loose faucet). This particular company is full service so you get all you membranes changed & salt delivered. Supposedly you only pay for the parts. I have installed a RO unit myself in a lab I worked in (you can get them online at Aquatic Ecosystems). Its not very hard.

HTH

I have one but I think it is a local company. Its fairly important to have a water softener before your RO unit otherwise the membranes get clogged up really fast (if you have hard water). I recommend the use of KCl instead of NaCl for ion exchange it is not as hard on the environment. Mine is a drinking water version but I use it for the aquarium.

I am so glad to have one because I drink tons of water but I think my fish & plants are glad too :) . We have never had any problems with the system (Well one repair for a loose faucet). This particular company is full service so you get all you membranes changed & salt delivered. Supposedly you only pay for the parts. I have installed a RO unit myself in a lab I worked in (you can get them online at Aquatic Ecosystems). Its not very hard.

HTH

R/O is great. My tap water runs aroung 8.2-8.6 and I've brought it down to 7.3-7.4 since i bought my r/o sysytem. My brother found it on ebay from aqua-safe systems in vancouver. Great installation instructions with good advice. It is slow if you have poor water pressure though.

I was told that RO units waste a lot of water while they are "making" good water is this true?

Back
Top Bottom