Rainbow Cichlid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr. Moe

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Can someone give me some advice please

The rainbow cichlid in my tank has stopped eating and hasn't ate anything for 3 days. Before that at feeding time it was out amongst everything as normal. It won't even eat bloodworm.

It just seems to want to sit at the top of the tank just below the top water level. It does come down now and again but just seems to ghost around. (Doesn't have the same, I'm the boss and that's why nobody messes with me, look about it).

It's gone back to the dark tiger stripe colours from the usual vibrant bright orange with black stripe.

Iv tested the water and there is nothing wrong with it. All levels are as they should be, ammonia, nitrates, nitrites etc.

I'm not sure of its age. It is about 5 inches from mouth to tail.

Pictures below

Many thanks for any help.

image-783999487.jpg

image-800793782.jpg

Internal parasites could explain what your seeing, signs of Hexamita are reclusive behavior, not eating, and fish turning darker. Or maybe there is a simpler explanation such as stress from a aggressor or simply old age, we need a little more info to help. What size tank and what are his tankmates? To start.

Mr. Moe said:
Can someone give me some advice please

The rainbow cichlid in my tank has stopped eating and hasn't ate anything for 3 days. Before that at feeding time it was out amongst everything as normal. It won't even eat bloodworm.

It just seems to want to sit at the top of the tank just below the top water level. It does come down now and again but just seems to ghost around. (Doesn't have the same, I'm the boss and that's why nobody messes with me, look about it).

It's gone back to the dark tiger stripe colours from the usual vibrant bright orange with black stripe.

Iv tested the water and there is nothing wrong with it. All levels are as they should be, ammonia, nitrates, nitrites etc.

I'm not sure of its age. It is about 5 inches from mouth to tail.

Pictures below

Many thanks for any help.

I agree with the first post, but what would like to add a few things.

Check the poop and see if it's white and stringy or otherwise unusual. That would support the hexamita/internal parasites diagnosis.

Also, pick up some jungle parasite guard tablets and medicated flakes with metronidazole. these are harmless treatments that you'll want to have ready in case it turns out to be hex. They are good to have on-hand because they parasite issues come out of thin air.

Thanks for the reply,

The tank is 240 litre

In it with him are -

Congo tetras
Bosemani and red rainbow fish
1 Honduran red point
1 blue acara
Red tail shark
1 firemouth
2 plecs (4 inches and 8 inches)

Everything has been in there roughly 6-8 months and no previous problems (apart from a sore on a bosemani which I treated with melafix)

It does seem to have its mouth open wider than usual constantly.

Nothing in the tank bothers it as it is the biggest (apart from 1 plec) in the tank.

Just done a 25% weekly water change too, see if that helps.
Thanks for the help, il keep posting updates.

Sounds like a nice set up.

Do you have a Quarentine tank he could be housed in? If so I'd remove him and perform small daily water changes and watch his behavior. If symptoms continue I'd go ahead and treat for internal parasites.

If no QT tank is available I'd still be doing larger daily water changes following the same advice as the QT tank directions.

Thanks, the congos and rainbow fish make it a bit livelier, they have a bit to grow yet they're about 2/3 fully grown.

I don't have a QT unfortunately. So I will do the daily water change, how much would you recommend changing.

Just looking now and he already seems a lot better, he hasn't been up to the top and has been to a couple of decorations and shimmying against them, as if marking them as his.

Thanks again.

I'd start with 25% daily and monitor for 5-7 days.

If the fish is flashing(scraping on decor) then something is irritating his skin, this could be parasites, water parameters(high nitrates), swings in PH, and outside influences such as chemicals or water conditioners.

Oh, il keep an eye on that see if it carries on doing the shimmying thing. He did it twice and hasn't since.

Il do the water changes daily and test the water too.

Thanks and il update soon.

that looks like a nice male, ive bred these fish, i have a pair now that have a few fry left in community tank.hope he gets better

Thanks he is a nice fish. He seems a lot better after the water changes, still not eating yet though. He has been swimming around like his old self a bit more today. He seems a bit busier in there than he has been of late.

I took the carbon back out of the filter again, I didn't know it had to stay out longer than the weeks treatment I did of Melafix for one of the bosemani that's in there.

I hope he settles again and starts eating soon.

Back
Top Bottom