Raising Angel babies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Luananeko

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a breeding pair of Angels that have been unsuccessful at raising their own fry for the last year or so. They can consistently hit the swimmer stage, at which point the dad decides they're too tasty looking and gobbles them all up. I'd like to see if I can raise them myself once they hit swimmer stage. What's the best way to go about this? The current batch just hit swimmer stage today. For now, I sucked them up with a turkey baster and moved them into a floating plastic breeder box. My previous two attempts I used a mesh breeder box, but the babies kept trapping themselves between the mesh and the plastic box frame and died :( Unfortunately, I've discovered the babies can squeeze out through the slots (not easily, but if I try to refresh the water in it they can get pulled out from suction), so this won't work long either.

I have a 20g long with a cycled sponge filter and heater that I can transfer them to for grow out, but I'm not sure the best time or way to do this. Do I just fill the 20g with water from the parents tank? Or can I put freshautolinker.com autolinking image water so it's perfect? I'm not sure how much chemistry change babies can handle... The parents tank is around 20-40 nitrates because every time I want to do a water change they've laid more eggs and I don't want to disturb them, so I don't get to do my weekly 50% water change that I'd like to do... Usually I can get 1 water change in each month in between their failed attempts.

What should go into the tank other than the heater & filter? I'm snowed in right now, but once work opens up again I can't feed them every few hours like I am now. I'd like to have something in there they can forage on while I'm away for 8 hours. I have floating plants and driftwood from the parents tank I could transfer, or I have lava rock with bolbitus ferns in a 10g tank I could move over.

Anything else I should know to give these guys the best shot at making it? Thanks!

Attachments

• 20170111_145109.jpg
    20170111_145109.jpg
    258.2 KB · Views: 80
Fill the 20g up 1/2 way or less. 1/2 tank 1/2 new water.
feed BBS till they accept dry foods.
Raise water level until tank is full with clean water over a week or two and then you can start to change water on tank.
Andy Sager is the Angel man and his thread here....

Fill the 20g up 1/2 way or less. 1/2 tank 1/2 new water.
feed BBS till they accept dry foods.
Raise water level until tank is full with clean water over a week or two and then you can start to change water on tank.
Andy Sager is the Angel man and his thread here....

Good advice. A 20 long is pretty big for new free swimmers, hard for them to find food. I would use a smaller tank if available. A 2-1/2 gallon works good. Keep it bare bottom, they get lost in the gravel. Start with parents tank water and do a 10-20% water change every day. Feed BBS twice a day. Always put a plant in with the new babies. Java moss works great, they eat the small creatures living on the plants.

I agree a 20 is largish?,but I start mine after 1-2 weeks in a 10 g raising the level of water.
By then the fry will be large enough you can vacuum more safely and suck up less.I used to use a 5g but they grow way too fast for me.
I also use 5g plastic paint strainers as breeder nets.
https://www.sherwin-williams.com/painting-contractors/products/5-gallon-pail-strainer
They fit right in 12" wide tanks and only cost $5...No seams or frame to kill fry.I also wrap them in backer rod and float them in my 40bs,allowing me to double task grow out tanks.The food that falls through is eagerly eaten by the larger fish in main tank.(y)

Thanks for the tips! Sadly I don't have any smaller tanks open at the moment, but the babies are all sticking to one area so I've just been dropping food in over their heads. They're eating dry food already, I've been using the Hikari First Bites food. I'll check into the BBS for future batches though. They seem to be doing ok for now, so fingers crossed!

I do have a small clump of java moss in a fresh water refugium. I'll swap that over for them.

Oooo, I like the pail streamer idea. I'll pick one up for the next batch of babies!

Aw geez, I feel kinda awful now. I just realized why the babies are sticking to one area rather than exploring the tank. I've been leaving the food bag propped up next to the tank... They think Mommy's there!
042055200950-FirstBites-0.35oz-10g-20095-2007-800x1326.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom