Raising Ghosts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
get more gohst shrimp if you only have one. I bought some gohsts carrying eggs and some survived. It hased to be a cycled tank with alot of bacteria in the water for the young to eat. The fry go through larvea stages.

TBH i didnt think you can breed ghosts. i mean you can but its very difficult for the average aquariust to do. to my knowlage they need brackish water to survive the larval stage. then, they need fed with stuff like putting an egg yolk in a sock and swishing it around in the tank.

you can tell me if im wrong but thats what ive read.

Now, if you wana breed shrimp RCS are awesome, if you need help with them let me know.

I have some gohst young... I don't know how they lived but they did. I remember seeing them in larvea state floating around the water. I used to have three now I have 5 so 2 made it to adult hood. It is fresh water too. I have my tank set up as a self sustaining tank though, just like a pond. There's the fish the shrimp and of course snails. Only one live plant. I only need to add water and the ocassinal flake food. I checked and the tank has the same tiny organisms as a pond! And I use a sponge filter it took months or possibly even a year now before the bacteria became like that though...

momo said:
TBH i didnt think you can breed ghosts. i mean you can but its very difficult for the average aquariust to do. to my knowlage they need brackish water to survive the larval stage. then, they need fed with stuff like putting an egg yolk in a sock and swishing it around in the tank.

you can tell me if im wrong but thats what ive read.

Now, if you wana breed shrimp RCS are awesome, if you need help with them let me know.

I have collected ghost shrimp from various places in completely freshwater, so there are definitely some species that can, its just a matter of finding them.

Read and buy at least 6 more shrimp

I bought 12 ghost and amanos and some are berried. I have little hope of larvel survival since my tank has clear sides.
I read in "Robyn's Ghost shrimp breeding page" that the easiest way to insure shrimp baby survival is to use a container with solid (not transparient) sides like a rough tote or put dark towel around fish tank. Her article is short but has some interesting information.
Link: Robyn's Ghost Shrimp Breeding Page

Back
Top Bottom