Raising ph on baby angelfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kelly5978

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm hoping Andy will pipe in here, as I can't find my old thread....
I have 3 beautiful, almost dime-sized angelfish in a 5.5 gallon tank with sponge filter and heater. They are approx 6 weeks old, and eat brine shrimp in the morning, and angelsplus baby pellets in the evening. I use acid and alkaline buffers to keep The ph in the tank at 6.2. The ammonia is 1. I understand it doesn't hurt them because the ph turns the ammonia into ammonium....non toxic. However, they would die the second they hit any other tank, with a higher ph! Here are my questions:
1. Am I correct that there is no beneficial bacteria in this tank, because the ph is so low? If I am wrong, why isn't it turning the ammonia into nitrites????
2. I can easily raise my alkaline buffer ratio, to slowly raise the ph of the tank. But, how do I get the beneficial bacteria to start converting ammonia into nitrates quickly enough so the babies aren't hurt?
3. Basically, I have more fry that need this tank. And, I want my little amigos to join their parents (main tank is completely cycled, but ph is 7.2). So, can anyone walk me through the process of getting this tank up to a higher ph, or how to move the babies to a higher ph, without harming them?
I've raised these from eggs, and they are my babies! Help pls!

Correction...the ammonia doesn't hurt the babies BECAUSE the ph is so low. I understand the ph doesn't really do anything to the ammonia.

Piping in here :D
Go to wigglers thread or Fry in real FUZZ thread. Use your statistics tab to find your posts and threads you started ;)
I'm all piped out :D lol

Back
Top Bottom