rams and tetras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigfish93

Aquarium Advice Regular
Will 3 bolivian rams (1 male and 2 female) and 10 neon tetra be compatible in a 29 gallon tank?

Just be careful as the rams will pair off and mate. The male will mate with more than one female so when it comes down to it you will have a lot of fry. They tend to get aggressive when it comes time for breeding so you should watch them when this happens. Neons dont really travel the tank like other fish but at times they get curious and that could get them a little nervious and stressed. just watch them though

bolivian rams are probably the nices of the cichlids family. Which is why I love keeping them. I wouldn't worry about them at all.. even if breeding- im sure the Rams will see the neons aren't going to do much harm. I have 14 rummynose with mine and about 6 neons. You should be fine :)

I've never kept Bolivian Rams, but I've got some Blue Rams and tetras in my 55. The only issue you may run into is feeding. My Rams are fairly timid/slow eaters, and the tetras will often eat all of the food faster than the Rams can. I've found if I drop flake food on the surface the tetras are distracted. Then I drop some small Ciclid pellets by the filter return, and the filter helps make them sink. The Rams will grab them on their way down.

Back
Top Bottom