Red Algae Problem . * Warning ! Large Pictures !! *

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JOSCAR

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Can someone giva advice on how to combat this algae problem ? Thanks..

I used a product called Red Slime
It's made by UltraLife Reef Products
Their Address Is: PO Box 431
Derby, CT 06418
I purchased it originally in North Plainfield, NJ in a store called Ocean Galleries, but I think Dr Fosters & Smith (petwarehouse) also sells it.
Good Luck. It worked for me, I hope it can help you.

what kind of flow rates do you have in those specific areas?

It looks like the kind of algae that grows best in lower flow areas. If you can increase the flow rate in that area it might go away.

Flow rate is an excellent point. In addition, Cyanobacter is normally a clear sign of excess nutrients. If the tank just finished cycling then excess nutrients are expected. If it's about a year old this sometimes happens. I'm not sure why :?

Siphoning out as much as possible during a water change helps a lot. Feeding less is usually the long term answer.

What was the price you remember paying ? I have a 125 gallon tank, how much do you think it'll set me back ? I can add waterflow to that lower area, but I'm also getting the slime on the rocks and other corals where the waterflow is good..

I haven't seen the pics (they are way to large, I'm on dial up), but from the replys I am assuming it is cyanobacteria. DO NOT use the Red Slime Alge Remover in your tank. It will cause you more problems in the future than it will solve. The short term will be great with this product, but the long term will mean more nutrients and more algae, as well as the possibility of killing off your nitrifying bacteria, the product is an antibiotic! In this thread there is some info that will help you combat many different forms of algae, including cyanobacter, without the use of chemicals.

PHotos have been resized. There are still many photos that basicly make this thread almost 1MB in download size so I am leaving the Large photo warning.

JOSCAR, there is no problem with you attaching photos but I do ask that if you could resize them to 800X600 or so prior to uploading them that would be great. It both makes the images MUCH easier to see on the screen vs having to scroll up and down and left and right but also allows those on dialup an opertunity to view the photos on the thread more easily.

i had the same red algae problem. My local livestock store recommended adding more blue light to my tank. so i just put a 48" regular fluresent (SP) fixture on my 75 with a actnic bulb in i and within a month i had absolutly no red slime and still havent for over six months. Plus i liked how it enhanced the color in my tank. It complimented my pc setup very well.

I understand the use of chemicals in a reef tank is controversial, but I have use the Red Slime in my reef previously without any problems mentioned by reefrunner. I have been running my tank for over 2 years. I think all treatments are a matter of preference.

Tank update !!

Hey guys. Here are some updated pictures of the tank. I actually had to take out each coral and rock and remove the red algae .I changed my sand and did a complete water change as well as setup a hang on refugium . So far so good...

michealprater said:
No one seems to believe me on adding more actnic. However I know it works first hand. :wink:

The reason adding actinic may help is if the algae was fueled by poor spectrum (red I think), if this is the case adding actinic lighting may help. But spectrum is not the only cause of cyano, the most common cause is high nutrients or low waterflow.

Just a thought...

You know i had a slight red slime algae growth forming in my tank a while back and the lfs told me (as stated above) to check the water flow first. After i had done that i was getting it on my rocks just as you are. Im posting this cuz im curious to what others think. I treated my tank finally with Maracyn.... Within one day all the red slime algae was gone. It worked very well for me and bothered nothing. I did notice a slight setback in the Coraline Algae tho just in spots were it was greatly spreading. Im not recommending this as the number one method, but it did work to me after just one, and only one treatment. Didnt seem to effect any of my inverts either. Is this an option? Also, ive noticed miniature hermit crabs and turbo snails will do wonders on it.

Re: Tank update !!

JOSCAR said:
Hey guys. Here are some updated pictures of the tank. I actually had to take out each coral and rock and remove the red algae .I changed my sand and did a complete water change as well as setup a hang on refugium . So far so good...

Thanks for providing the update.

I had the same red slime problem just after my 30g tank completed its initial cycle. I added a dozen turbo snails and after just under a week it was gone.

An aside to 'SleeplessLwd' I tried that lfs in North Plainfield (rte 22, right?) when I first got my tank, was more of a novice than I am now. What were your impressions of them? I felt like I walked out of there with alot of stuff I didn't need. . . :x

Back
Top Bottom