Red tail fail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jbimflyer

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi guys and Gals, I'm a little confused and annoyed since I have spent quite a bit of $$ and time on RT sharks and haven't been able to keep them for Long. I think my record is 5 weeks. Can anyone please share their experience/advice, expertise on what it takes to keep these fish alive Long enough to see them grow a few inches? Maybe stop shopping at a fish store that keeps their ph at 7.6.

Since most RT sharks are tank raised these days, it sounds more like it's a feeding issue. Not enough of the right types of foods for best growth. They must have both meat protein AND vegetable matter. If you are not sure your fish are getting both these foods through flakes or pellets, try switching to frozen foods so that they get to the bottom of the tank.
A couple of other potential issues: They should be kept as the only shark in a tank and not mixed with other types or other RT sharks. They are very territorial so if you are trying to keep more than one at a time, they may be killing each other.
If you are getting small RT sharks and having problems, try getting larger fish instead. These should have a better ability to adapt to a new tank environment.

Hope this helps (y)

Sometimes people are trying to sell / give away their fish, maybe try an adult. Mine was given to me and was about 8 years old when it passed. I had ~ 6.4-7 pH most often. It changes during the year depending where the city got the water.

The previous owner had it about 6 years. No problem, it was indeed an awesome fish, one of my favorites.

Since most RT sharks are tank raised these days, it sounds more like it's a feeding issue. Not enough of the right types of foods for best growth. They must have both meat protein AND vegetable matter. If you are not sure your fish are getting both these foods through flakes or pellets, try switching to frozen foods so that they get to the bottom of the tank.
A couple of other potential issues: They should be kept as the only shark in a tank and not mixed with other types or other RT sharks. They are very territorial so if you are trying to keep more than one at a time, they may be killing each other.
If you are getting small RT sharks and having problems, try getting larger fish instead. These should have a better ability to adapt to a new tank environment.

Hope this helps (y)

Thanx for the info. No I am aware that they should be kept as solitary sharks, but I have been getting very small ones so maybe that could be the problem.

Sometimes people are trying to sell / give away their fish, maybe try an adult. Mine was given to me and was about 8 years old when it passed. I had ~ 6.4-7 pH most often. It changes during the year depending where the city got the water.

The previous owner had it about 6 years. No problem, it was indeed an awesome fish, one of my favorites.

I really Don't know anyone that has one to Give me, but I could spend more coin on a Bigger one. The thing is... I never see Bigger ones sold in the stores, only babies. Also all my tiger barbs and Buenos Aires are like an inch or inch and 1/2, so I was hoping to have them all grow up together.

What are the tank parameters and how do you acclimate them?

The parameters are Good now I just tested them yesterday, but I just recently changed the filter media, foams, and carbon out of my fluval 306 canister, and cleaned it all out. I had gotten it from someone and God knows when he changed that stuff last before he Gave me the 306. Maybe that was my problem, the water just simply wasn't Getting clean enough for it. I Acclimate them the standard way, by floating the Bag in my tank water for about a 1/2 hr. I Don't think that's the issue b/c they're Getting far past that initial stage.

The parameters are Good now I just tested them yesterday, but I just recently changed the filter media, foams, and carbon out of my fluval 306 canister, and cleaned it all out. I had gotten it from someone and God knows when he changed that stuff last before he Gave me the 306. Maybe that was my problem, the water just simply wasn't Getting clean enough for it. I Acclimate them the standard way, by floating the Bag in my tank water for about a 1/2 hr. I Don't think that's the issue b/c they're Getting far past that initial stage.

Actually the filter media not being replaced for a long time is a good thing. It's what holds all your bacteria and by replacing that, you very likely caused a mini cycle for your tank. I would keep an eye on ammonia and nitrite for a week or so. Filter media should only be replaced when it's literally decomposing and falling apart. Other than that, it's not a big deal to change. It can be cleaned in old tank water which is a good idea to do on a monthly basis.

Acclimation should also be done differently. Float the bag for 15 minutes, and then remove a cup of water from the container and add a cup from the tank. Do this every 5 minutes or so for around half an hour and it will be a much more gentle acclimation for your fish.

Craigslist was more along the lines of what I was thinking, or Petco offers adoption fish for sale, sometimes people have fish to get rid of due to moving or because they need a bigger tank or don't get along with their present stock. LFS also get trade-ins sometimes.

What size tank is this in? What other tank mates are with it besides the barbs and tetras? What were you feeding it? Does it have a hidey hole of it's own it can retreat to? Is the tank planted?

I've had my RTBS for the last few years all the way from when it was a baby with zero issues. She's in a heavily planted 75g community tank. I feed a wide variety of foods (mixture of flake, frozen, and sinking pellets) and have ample hidey holes so she's not being pestered and has her space. It's important to make sure they have ample greenery (gotta love spirulina enriched foods) in their diet as too much protein can be bad for them.

Back
Top Bottom