redecorating, building, DIY ponds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andrew McFadden

Aquarium Advice Addict
This is the pond I put in last spring.

ForumRunner_20130421_180133.jpg

I am redoing some of it this year but not a lot. Any comments or anything is welcome, I'd really like to hear any ideas anybody may have.

I built the bridge last year thinking it would be the only way to get across once it's all finished plus I like the look. I'm planning on adding a bench at the top where the river pebbles stop and I bought a ton of wild flowers to add around it.

I was running 3 pumps on it and this year I'm going down to one. Today I added this :

that I made a few days ago, So far it's working GREAT.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130421_181025.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130421_181025.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 146
Did a little weed clean up today and added a new fountain in one section. Also cleaned out leaves and checked the size of the goldfish. One of them is extremely fat, I haven't fed them since last year sometime. Maybe pregnant? How do you tell on a goldfish? I am probably going to put them into the big pond at my father in-laws before winter if they grow like they did last year. I bought them as feeder fish.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130422_151646.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130422_151646.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 123
Pond looks great.

Why are you going down to one pump

Thanks
It is strong enough to push everything. Right now I have the l filter with waterfall, 2nd water fall and a fountain thing. I don't think I'll add anything else but I do have more hook ups to do so if needed.

My other reason is my power head stoped working on my 180 gallon tank. So I stole the pump from the pond to replace it and then my sump pump stoped working and that where the other pump went.

Do you have any idea how to sex goldfish ?
Also how do you tell if they are pregnant?

Sexing is a bit difficult but not impossible. If you catch her again, check her vent- females are convex, males are concave but it's not always this simple. Then just simply watch her as the weather warms up- if she's a female, you will be able tell pretty easily because the males will start to chase her pretty relentlessly. They may be already if you watch in the late afternoon when the pond temperature is the warmest. :)

Sexing is a bit difficult but not impossible. If you catch her again, check her vent- females are convex, males are concave but it's not always this simple. Then just simply watch her as the weather warms up- if she's a female, you will be able tell pretty easily because the males will start to chase her pretty relentlessly. They may be already if you watch in the late afternoon when the pond temperature is the warmest. :)

Thanks I was going to pm you about that today if nobody responded.

I know nothing about ponds but I love looking at and enjoying them!!

Following along.

When it's all said and done and everything is in full bloom. I'll take a video for you, as I relax to the sounds of the water flowing like a stream.

Hmm just had a thought Maybe I'll replace the bench with a hammock.

I did forget to mention last year while I was staining the decks I stained the bridge to add more of a darker color.

I need to start making the 5 gallon bucket filter. Maybe I can get that started today.

When it's all said and done and everything is in full bloom. I'll take a video for you, as I relax to the sounds of the water flowing like a stream.

Hmm just had a thought Maybe I'll replace the bench with a hammock.

I did forget to mention last year while I was staining the decks I stained the bridge to add more of a darker color.

I need to start making the 5 gallon bucket filter. Maybe I can get that started today.

Awesome. I'm jealous already!!

So I'm planning on keeping that but upgrading it some how. I was thinking about using these 3 items.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130423_085638.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130423_085638.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 60
Now I wonder what would be better. ?

1) drill holes in the bottom of the bucket and add the water line to the top of the bucket. Going threw a pad and a drip plate then threw the rest of the filter. Ideas??

Keep in mind I'm planning on the bucket to be inside of the filter that's there now that will fill up with water before it water flows out. On both 1 & 2 options

2) do the opposite and feed the water line threw the bucket t the bottom and let it push up threw whatever I put into the filter and overflow out to the other section. ??

I think two would be easier but not sure on what's the best idea.

Also what all should I plan on putting into the bucket as media? I'm planning on different sponges and that's it as of now. I May even add floss as the last thing in it. I want this water to sparkle *** < sparkles

Did something similiar with our DIY filtration system. Water is piped in to the bottom of a barrel and flows up through the media and flows out through three ports on top. Simple but it works! :)

Did something similiar with our DIY filtration system. Water is piped in to the bottom of a barrel and flows up through the media and flows out through three ports on top. Simple but it works! :)

Ok cool that's what I like to hear. So it works like option two other than I'm going to make less work and just feed the hose to the bottom. Instead of cutting holes and what not.

Also jlk how big do you think I should let these goldfish get before I rehome them? I don't want to hurt them and my in-laws live behind me several acres away. So it's no big deal nor out of the way for me to move them. I'm not sure how big the pond is it's at least 5' long by 3-4' wide.

Do you know how many gallons it is? I would say if they are starting to display breeding behaviors (chasing and bumping is the most obvious), you may want to consider moving them (or some of them) to larger home before you wind up with a lot of goldfish. Or let them reproduce then move the adults to the larger pond. Nature does a pretty good job of selecting only the strongest, healthiest fish to survive as the adult goldfish, frogs, dragon flies, birds and just about anything else will limit the fry population. Your call! :)

Do you know how many gallons it is? I would say if they are starting to display breeding behaviors (chasing and bumping is the most obvious), you may want to consider moving them (or some of them) to larger home before you wind up with a lot of goldfish. Or let them reproduce then move the adults to the larger pond. Nature does a pretty good job of selecting only the strongest, healthiest fish to survive as the adult goldfish, frogs, dragon flies, birds and just about anything else will limit the fry population. Your call! :)

I'm not sure on how many gallons it is. I was given the paper work for it all but can't find it. I found one online that looks similar and it's 86 gallons just for the part the fish are in. So if that's the case I'm pushing close to 200 gallons with all the sections added on. I know it has to be around that in gallons, it takes forever to fill up with a hose. I'm planning on moving them before or after winter or if they breed then I'll move them then.

Thanks again and I'm glad your following this

Jlk and whomever has input

What all do you put in your filter and how's it organized?

I'll have 3 maybe 4 sections in it. I'm hoping to keep stuff at the top that will need cleaned out ( filter pads) all the time. I have bio balls, floss, sponges, lava rocks now and am going to pick up barely straw. Is there anything else I should look into getting?

I have sponge, plastic mesh balls, hefty coarse filter media (meant for a chimney/stove), rock, and tons of polyfill. All in random layers. Pain the behind to clean but I rinse everything 1-2x a month (except for winter- filter is off). I would be hesitant to use barley straw in a filter simply because it degrades quickly. I know some people put bales of the stuff in a pond for clarity and algae control. I have used barley extract in the past but I honestly dont think it did anything special and it was pretty pricey. :)

Back
Top Bottom