Reef safe lobsters that wont harm fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zacheyp

Aquarium Advice Addict
i have a 20 gal long, are there any i could get, it also has to be compatible with my stocking list
stocking is as follows
Fish-
2 ocellaris (1 b&w 1 orange)
1yellow watchman goby
1longnose hawk fish
1 royal gramma
1 fish TBD (suggestions???)

Inverts
5-7 assorted hermits
5 assorted snails
5 assorted snails

Corals
1 frogspawn
1 waving hand
1 kenya tree
2 mushrooms
2-3 leathers
3-4 zoas

Tank details 20 g long
substrate crushed coral
live rock 21 pounds 6 piece

U seem a bit over stocked to me I'd get rid of some fish first man but hey u can trade them into ur LFS and maybe get that lobster ya want and lobsters are too slow to catch fish u should be fine

I`ve had a reef lobster for 7 yrs now and he has not messed with ant fish yet.

is it a purple reef lobster, does it mess with shrimp, can it go in a 20 long, btw my tank is cycling and that is a planned stock list, i will get rid of the 6th fish and tone down the numbers on the CUC

Oh ok I just don't want u to see the same issue I had. I almost lost a $40 grouper cause I had to much fish for my 20 gal but I got rid of him and got something else

would this stocking list be acceptable?
2 ocellaris (1 b&w 1 orange)
1yellow watchman goby
1longnose hawk fish
1 royal gramma

Inverts
4 assorted hermits
2 assorted snails
3 assorted shrimp

Corals
1 frogspawn
1 waving hand
1 kenya tree
2 mushrooms
2-3 leathers
3-4 zoas

Tank details 20 g long
substrate crushed coral
live rock 21 pounds 6 piece

@ melosu58, thank you for all of your help
would u say i could keep shrimp hermits and snails with a reef lobster, also is a 20 long large enough? Thanks

I wouldnt mix the different clowns. It's possible but IME it works like 5% of the time. And the times I've seen it work are in 90g+ tanks

its 1 pair, 1 of each, they are both ocelarris, why couldnt it work?

So your saying two blacks and two oranges? If so the two females will battle to the death for dominance. Especially in that small of a tank I did it in a 90 and it still didn't work I had to separate the pairs.

But if it's just 1 black and 1 orange they know something is different and will usually always fight I always tell people not to do it at the store but they do it anyways and always return one of them

2 fish 1 black 1 orange= 1 pair, you really dont think it would work, i have heard several places that it would

It is very hard to do. I've never seen it work. It works for a couple of weeks and then one day they got at it. Usually they will both turn to female and that's why they fight

thanks for your imput, what do you think about the lobster

Purple reef lobsters are awesome. Never had one so I don't have much experience but I know they can get about 4 inches buy idk what they will do to other inverts.

i set up my cave yesterday but i still want to know, can i put other inverts in the tank

Yes I have a fire shrimp and some hermits and nassirus snails and he does not mess with them. Never had a problem with him messing with fish. One thing you should know about this reef lobster is that it rarely comes out except at night. I`ve seen mine maybe 6 times in 7 years.

That`s kind of small but provided there is plenty of LR for him to hide and he can get some food you possiblly could. Mine is a 125 gallon tank with 200 Lbs of LR.

Back
Top Bottom