Are those... bite marks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tacit Blues

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just planted some Ludwigia repens two days ago, and tonight when I was changing the water I found this leaf floating around:

V7BfkuFOB0OURqYVrpe5hKlHE1fDl1V_9bdN5fWuMS0LAYspN

Now looking at the plants there are a few other leaves (still attached) like this.

The fish in the tank are Head and Taillight Tetras, Panda Corys, and Otos. I think there's a few pond snails in there as well, though all the ones I've seen are still pretty tiny. Would any of those things be chewing on my leaves? I know Otos are herbivors, but I didn't think they ate plants. The corys seem... unlikely to say the least, but my Tetras are all the weirdest fish I've ever had, so if someone told me that it was them I wouldn't doubt it for a second.

Unless there's some sort of nutrient deficiency that makes leaves get holes that look like bite marks...?

Pond snails. . They'll eat the dead and dying leaves. . Nothing to sweat..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

There is no way a pond snail made those marks. They are just too small. I would guess that it is damage made by one of the cory's or ottos. Plants often loose leaves when first planted. They have to adjust to the new tank and often shed old leaves. There could have been some algae on the leaf edges and the cory's or otto's ate it away and some of the plant too. Neon mouths are not made to eat plants so I doubt it was them. Phosphate deficiency will cause holes to appear in leaves too but they are usually within the leaf not at the edges.

Here's a bit of a tangential follow up:

IMG_20141219_185521486.jpg

Why in the world is whoever or whatever that likes the ludwigia (while I don't think those bite marks in the middle of the plant were from the snails, I don't doubt that they may be chewing on the edges) going after just that one plant? There's like 10 stems of it in there, not to mention I haven't had any problems with the anacharis, wisteria, bacopa, dwarf sag... etc etc. Just, apparently, THAT ONE STEM of the ludwigia!

I tried to do alt. reineckii in my tanks and in my large community the poor plant didn't have a chance. For whatever reason alllll the fish liked that one

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I think right now it's just that whatever it is that's eating that one stem of that one species is really... really offending my sense of OCD.

Back
Top Bottom