Refugium light?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bjj_junkie

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'd like to see what most of you use to light your refugiums. i hear a lot of people use regular light bulbs while others like to use special refugium light fixtures. please explain why and what light you use... :thanks:

If i had a fuge, then i would try red and blue led. 660nm and 455nm. Algae loves these spectrum.

My fuge has a simple CFL light build on a $17 desk lamp with a clip attachment. Cheato grows like a weed. Nitrates at 0 now. Don't waste your money on special lights when regular CFLs provide great light spectrum.

phishfriend said:
Will CFL work for fresh water also?

You bet. I always used CFLs over a refugium. I also had them over my heavily planted tank for 4 years before switching recently for variety's sake. Can't endorse them enough.

My fuge has a simple CFL light build on a $17 desk lamp with a clip attachment. Cheato grows like a weed. Nitrates at 0 now. Don't waste your money on special lights when regular CFLs provide great light spectrum.

Agree completely. I use a $6 shop clip on fixture (available at any hardware store) and a screw in CFL. My chaeto grows like mad, and I have never had detectable nitrates in my reef, or any significant algae growth in the DT to speak of. I light my refugium opposite the display tank.

I use a 18 watt LED light from Home Depot. Chaeto & Caulepra grow great. LED = no heat & less energy use = win win. I run mine 24/7.

Attachments

• image-1673553798.jpg
    image-1673553798.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 42
Back
Top Bottom