Restarting my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pete5280

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone,

I have a 75 gallon freshwater tank and several months ago it became completely infested with algae - it was everywhere. I tried various measures to get rid of it but it never went completely away. I finally was forced to shut the tank down.

I am going to get a new aquarium since I bought the old one used and it has quite a few scratches. I'm wondering two things:

1) What do I need to do with my canister filters to ensure no algae is still living in them (besides replacing all the media)?

2) Once my new tank is done cycling, what can I do to ensure I don't run into the algae problem again?

I have pretty bright lights (2 Ecoxotic 36" 18 watt Stunner LED 8000K White) and I'm wondering if that may have been what caused the algae breakout?

Thanks so much for any help or suggestions!:thanks:

Pete

Pete...

Keeping the tank water clear of excess nutrients is a start. You do that by removing and replacing most of the tank water weekly. The filter system should be cleaned when you perform the water change. When you have a constant flow of pure water and a filter system that's always in good working order, you have what's called a "balanced" aquarium. Balanced meaning a steady, healthy water chemistry.

B

Thanks B,

I guess my biggest question is what should I do to clean the canister filters safely and ensure they will not have any remnants of algae before I start the tank back up again. Everything was pretty infested so I want to make sure I'm off to a clean start.

Thanks again!
Pete

Pete, I'm not real familiar with canister filters but here's a thought. You can buy various products to control algae in ponds. I would break down the filter as far as possible and soak any waterproof parts in a bucket or large container with the algae control mixture for ponds. Perhaps you can also wipe down any remaining parts with a rag soaked in solution too. Also a UV sterilizer will help control the algae once the tank is up and running.

How long did you keep your lights on, and was your tank near any windows?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

How long did you keep your lights on, and was your tank near any windows?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Exactly what I was thinking
When he said pretty bright lights
You need timed lighting
Sounds light a photo algae from overexposure to light

Hi,

I had the lights on a timer. They were on for about 9 hours per day.

Also, will the ammonia levels at the beginning of the cycling process kill off any residual algae in the canister filters, if there is any? I've cleaned them pretty well and they are dry now but not sure if the algae can come back still.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom