Restoration of an Attention Deprived Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I found someone that has some Ludwigia Cuba. They said that they would send 1 stock with 5-6 side shoots and an assortment of other sp. I am not quite sure what sp. is any ideas?

Little update:
My plants seem to be doing well. The fish seem happy and healthy!
My Cabomba has grown about 3/4 of an inch in about 24 hours, could that possibly be?
On a different thought... am I benefiting from dosing ferts? I am not sure if I have any plants that take nutrients out of the water column my plant list is; amazon swards, Java ferns, green cabomba, a broad leaf anubias, and a very small recovering orchid Lilly. In a few days I will have some; Ludwigia Cuba, Rotala 'Bangladesh', and Bacopa Madagascariensis.

Here is a picture of the new growth on my Cabomba (the bottom of the algae magnet is how tall it was yesterday):

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120417_183206.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120417_183206.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 76
Little update:
My plants seem to be doing well. The fish seem happy and healthy!
My Cabomba has grown about 3/4 of an inch in about 24 hours, could that possibly be?
On a different thought... am I benefiting from dosing ferts? I am not sure if I have any plants that take nutrients out of the water column my plant list is; amazon swards, Java ferns, green cabomba, a broad leaf anubias, and a very small recovering orchid Lilly. In a few days I will have some; Ludwigia Cuba, Rotala 'Bangladesh', and Bacopa Madagascariensis.

Here is a picture of the new growth on my Cabomba (the bottom of the algae magnet is how tall it was yesterday):

Yes, your plants benefit from Ferts. Cabomba and Anubias both take nutrition from water column. Your new stem plants will as well. I like to use Water Column dosing as well as Root Tabs.

JMHO

The plants that i ordered arrived today! They got a little beet up in shipping but I think they will recover nicely. As of now I just kind of planted them were ever they would fit (I need to do a lot of aquascaping). I will attach some pictures, and if anyone knows what to do with crazy amounts of excess Java ferns let me know. The first picture is of the Ludwigia Cuba, and the other two I am not sure which is which but they are Rotala 'Bangladesh' and Bacopa Madagascariensis.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120418_151805.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120418_151805.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 63
  • ForumRunner_20120418_151819.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120418_151819.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 67
  • ForumRunner_20120418_151831.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120418_151831.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 77
  • ForumRunner_20120418_151856.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120418_151856.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 64
I just glanced at my new plants and found little bubbles under the leaves! Hurray for pearling! Also my cabamba is still growing swiftly (at least the ones that stay planted...) I can't wait till they have roots :/

Is there anything special I should be doing to the newly added plants? I assume some root tabs in a few days (when they get roots)?
If it is not obvious enough I am really nervous about keeping these plants alive, they are the first "difficult" plants I have tried to grow.

Should i continue to use all four bulbs in my light fixture? Right now the bulbs come on in a cycle around 8:30 AM the first bulb turns on (and the co2 on), around 9:00AM two more bulbs turn on, then around 12:30PM one bulb shuts off (and co2 off), then at 1:00PM the other two bulbs shut off, then again at 4:30PM one bulb turns on (and co2 on), then at 5:00PM two bulbs turn on, then when I get home from work (about 5:30PM) I turn on the fourth bulb, then at 8:30PM one bulb shuts off (and co2 turns off) then some time between 8:30-9:00 I shut off another bulb then finally at 9:00PM the last two bulbs turn off.

Does that photo period seem reasonable?

**edit: sorry that post is so hard to read, I hope you guys can interpret my gibberish...

Last edited:
I was at my favorite LFS and I spotted some thread fins. They are stunning! Would thread fins do well in my 90 gallon? (Stocking list in first post)

Still looking good! When I speak of scaping the Moss I want you to think of Evergreens and other conifer type of Shrubbery. Where you are kind of tufting and thinning out the growth. Kind of like a hair do. Tanks are looking very nice though. Only thing I dont see is an ample stocking of driftwood. keep the pics coming. I'm Inspired.

fishfanatic said:
I was at my favorite LFS and I spotted some thread fins. They are stunning! Would thread fins do well in my 90 gallon? (Stocking list in first post)

Threadfin Rainbows are a dwarf Rainbow. They have TINY mouths and throats and need appropriate food. I powder up flake food with my fingers, they'll take frozen baby brine shrimp and Hikari micro pellets also.

The issue is they may not compete well with aggressive eaters. Mine live with CPDs and Shrimp. Usually a species only or only nano fish tank.

Lovely fish.

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/rainbowfish/threadfin.php
http://www.badmanstropicalfish.com/profiles/profile162.html

So no threadfin rainbows for me :'( I think my fish are too aggressive at feeding time.
Do you think a pair of Kribensis would work? If they breed is there enough space for their "territory"?

Today (just barely) I asked my mom if i could re set up an old 40 gallon high tank. She said "if you can find somewhere to put it". Oh... can i find somewhere.... so i am contemplating the idea of setting it up. I currently have a penguin 150 Bio filter and a aqueon 150 heater just sitting in storage, I also have a duel T5-HO fixture that would fit the tank. So all I need is some substrate (PFS?) and some water. Does this sound like a very good Kribensis only setup? I would only put 1 maybe 2 pairs in there and then i would raise the babies till they are just old enough to be sold then I would sell them. Thoughts? Suggestions?
Also the trim is cracked and falling apart on the tank so i would need to replace the trim. And of course I would have some plants in this tank! I am stoked :)

Update:
Plants are doing really well! The cabomba is growing like wild fire. The orchid Lilly is slowly coming back, as of now there are about 3-4 leaves. The Anubias is sending up a bud to bloom.
The only thing not going so well is my rosy barb got the better of some of my plants, he has quite the hefty appetite for small leaved plants ugh!
I still have yet to aquascape the plants. They are still just kind of wherever.

I have a question on some of my neon tetra behavior, there are two neon tetras that chase eachother. They get really close together and then they swim in little circles around eachother (really fast), they don't seem to be harming eachother I am just curious.

I forgot pictures ;)

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120428_121928.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120428_121928.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 52
  • ForumRunner_20120428_122032.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120428_122032.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 55
Lookin good! What is that in the middle a fern or a sword? Also the front left side whatcha got goin on there? I'm looking to get whatever that is :)

misterc007 said:
Lookin good! What is that in the middle a fern or a sword? Also the front left side whatcha got goin on there? I'm looking to get whatever that is :)

In the middle of the big tank is a huge Java fern it is over 1 foot tall.
In the front left I have a Ludwigia Cuba, I have not had it that long but it seems to be growing fairly quickly. I do know that the Ludwigia likes bright light, ferts, and appreciates co2. Here is a close up picture:

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120428_124738.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120428_124738.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 49
  • ForumRunner_20120428_124808.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120428_124808.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 65
Lookin good! I like it :) cabomba is awesome, mine is growing like wildfire too :D I'm clad you're getting some nice results :)

Everything is definitely growing! Today I got some Limnophila Repens and Aromatica clippings, they look sad right now but I think they will pull through.

Algae... oh algae... do you think it is caused by over or under fertilizing? My co2 remains right around 35 ppm. Is there any way to know exactly what is causing the algae?

I am concerned about the stem of the Ludwigia Cuba, any ideas why it is turning black?

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120514_214242.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120514_214242.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 57
  • ForumRunner_20120514_214309.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120514_214309.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 50
  • ForumRunner_20120514_214330.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120514_214330.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 59
  • ForumRunner_20120514_214354.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120514_214354.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 52
  • ForumRunner_20120514_214434.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120514_214434.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 52
fishfanatic said:
Everything is definitely growing! Today I got some Limnophila Repens and Aromatica clippings, they look sad right now but I think they will pull through.

Algae... oh algae... do you think it is caused by over or under fertilizing? My co2 remains right around 35 ppm. Is there any way to know exactly what is causing the algae?

I am concerned about the stem of the Ludwigia Cuba, any ideas why it is turning black?

Awesome! It's really looking great :)

I get algae too. It's freaking annoying. Is it on your plants? I get a lot on the glass.

From my experience, as I told you in a PM, is that cuba doesn't like harder water. I have also come to find out lately that it doesn't like high temps either.

George9 said:
Awesome! It's really looking great :)

I get algae too. It's freaking annoying. Is it on your plants? I get a lot on the glass.

Some on the plants, not as bad as on the glass. My slow growing plants (Anubias) and the older leaves seem to collect algae :'(
I am hoping as my plants grow and fill in they will 'out compete' the algae.

Back
Top Bottom