Restoration of an Attention Deprived Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
rkilling1 said:
From my experience, as I told you in a PM, is that cuba doesn't like harder water. I have also come to find out lately that it doesn't like high temps either.

That is right... I had forgotten. Is the plant going to die? It is a neat plant, the new growth is a nice red color.

That is right... I had forgotten. Is the plant going to die? It is a neat plant, the new growth is a nice red color.

I can only tell you what happened to me. When I replaced my sand substrate with a 'better' plant friendly one, my water became harder and I lost all (about two dozen) of my cuba. Maybe it just needed more time to adjust, but it never grew back.

I have recently replaced my 300 dollar substrate with the orginal 21 dollar pool filter sand and I am now growing cuba like before. I couldn't be happier with the sand.

rkilling1 said:
I can only tell you what happened to me. When I replaced my sand substrate with a 'better' plant friendly one, my water became harder and I lost all (about two dozen) of my cuba. Maybe it just needed more time to adjust, but it never grew back.

I have recently replaced my 300 dollar substrate with the orginal 21 dollar pool filter sand and I am now growing cuba like before. I couldn't be happier with the sand.

I have a new tank that is in progress, it has sand I might transfer it to that tank. Although I don't plan to use co2 and I plan to only use minimal ferts, I am not sure how it would do. Thanks for your input, even though it was kind of a damper on my evening ;)

A new addition to my tank, but he appears to have fin rot... what shall i do?
sorry about the terrible quality of the picture.
**Edit the fin that has the white fuzz is the bottom tail fin, each of the "points" on the underside has fuzz on them.

Attachments

• IMG_1678.jpg
    IMG_1678.jpg
    250.6 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
fishfanatic said:
A new addition to my tank, but he appears to have fin rot... what shall i do?
sorry about the terrible quality of the picture.
**Edit the fin that has the white fuzz is the bottom tail fin, each of the "points" on the underside has fuzz on them.

Tbh, I don't see any signs of fin rot at all. I do not see the fungus either, but with clean water it should clear right up. I would not try a salt bath since he's so new. Has he eaten since you added him? If it is indeed rot and fungus, it will improve and get better with your clean water. Im sure the water in the bag was horribly polluted. You can do a couple water changes for a few days and see if it helps.

I'm so sorry about that. :(

He looks really nice in your tank btw :)

Tbh, I don't see any signs of fin rot at all. I do not see the fungus either, but with clean water it should clear right up. I would not try a salt bath since he's so new. Has he eaten since you added him?

I'm so sorry about that. :(

No don't be sorry. This is a beautiful fish, I think he just got a little over stressed, there is nothing that me or you could have done about that. I am going to add him to the tank and do 30-50% PWC everyday until it clears up.

Is fin rot "contagious"?

I have not tried to feed him yet... Should I feed him?

fishfanatic said:
No don't be sorry. This is a beautiful fish, I think he just got a little over stressed, there is nothing that me or you could have done about that. I am going to add him to the tank and do 30-50% PWC everyday until it clears up.

Is fin rot "contagious"?

I have not tried to feed him yet... Should I feed him?

No, it's not contagious. It comes from bad water quality, which was the case in the small bag. So if your tank water quality was bad, all the fish could get it, but if one fish has it, it's not gonna spread.

No, you don't have to feed him yet, i was just wondering.

Okey, I am not going to do a PWC today just because i think he is stressed enough for now, but tomorrow i will start. I just added him into the tank and he is stunning! absolutely magnificent, I cant wait to see his full color when he isn't stressed.
He also started swimming around and exploring the tank just like a happy little camper :D

Last edited:
George9 said:
Is he moving around? How did you acclimate him also?

Yup he is moving. I floated him in the tank for about 15 minutes, then every 15 minutes I added some water to his bag.

fishfanatic said:
Yup he is moving. I floated him in the tank for about 15 minutes, then every 15 minutes I added some water to his bag.

Well that's good :) I can't help feeling kida bad though.

George9 said:
Well that's good :) I can't help feeling kida bad though.

Seriously... don't feel bad. It isn't a big deal. And I know that he was taken care of. I know that he wasn't in a ick infested tank, and i know he was taken care of. Please don't feel bad. He will heal in no time.

I feel like it is time for an update.
90 gallon:
All the inhabitants seem to be very happy with their new diet of new life spectrum, frozen brine shrimp, frozen blood worms and cooked peas. All the plants are doing well except the cabomba which seems to be turning slightly yellow and not growing very much. The algae is of course nice and happy as well, but it doesn't bother me.
7.9 gallon:
The Java moss took over the tank! I trimmed a bunch of it and there is still lots in there. The Dwarf baby tears are barely hanging in there, and the dwarf hair grass is alive but not flourishing. The bettas fins have made a speedy recovery after a fish fight. The betta is much happier now that it is out of its 1.5 gallon unheated unfiltered tank that my sisters room mate had it in.

Once again I forgot to post the pictures...
The betta doesn't like to hold still :/

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120609_112019.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120609_112019.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 64
  • ForumRunner_20120609_112042.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120609_112042.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 54
  • ForumRunner_20120609_112117.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120609_112117.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 57
  • ForumRunner_20120609_112154.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120609_112154.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 54
  • ForumRunner_20120609_112231.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120609_112231.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 56
  • ForumRunner_20120609_112259.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120609_112259.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 59
Today I got a peacock eel! He is accumulating right now. My angel fish won't stop staring at him lol! This is my first eel. My sister is going to kill me! (She is deathly afraid of snakes or anything that looks like a snake)

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120621_154517.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120621_154517.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 64
  • ForumRunner_20120621_154540.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120621_154540.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 72
fishfanatic said:
Today I got a peacock eel! He is accumulating right now. My angel fish won't stop staring at him lol! This is my first eel. My sister is going to kill me! (She is deathly afraid of snakes or anything that looks like a snake)

awesome!!!!!!!!!! You're gonna love him. Mine swims thriough my hands and takes food right out of my hand My angel is obsessed with my eel too. Its like they're buddies. Except my angel always steals the eels food lol they love earthworms!

Is the eel really okey under all the substrate? He is also under some drift wood. I imagine he knows what he is doing but I also wonder if he is stuck...

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120622_115233.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120622_115233.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 74
fishfanatic said:
Is the eel really okey under all the substrate? He is also under some drift wood. I imagine he knows what he is doing but I also wonder if he is stuck...

He isn't stuck, mine always burrows. Be careful with the gravel, it can hurt him. I'd recommend switching to sand if possibld

George9 said:
He isn't stuck, mine always burrows. Be careful with the gravel, it can hurt him. I'd recommend switching to sand if possibld

Awe man, I don't know if I want to do that. The substrate I have in there was very pricy. I imagine a 20 gallon long would not be big enough for him but I do have one that has sand in it and it only has 2 kribs in it. What do you think?

Back
Top Bottom