Retarting fishless cycle from scratch...help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I practically had my coat on to go fish shopping when...

...I checked water parameters one last time. At 6:30 a.m yesterday I had dosed my tank with 5ml of ammonia (which has been consistently making my water read 4ppm ammonia, although I didn't check it this time) and figured I'd check 24 hours later. Just checked 1/2 hour ago. Ammonia=0, nitrates=40 or 80 (which I expected), pH is 7.0 which I also wasn't surprised at because I figured buffers were being used up to some degree. BUT I was really disheartened when I looked at the Nitrites, which according to the color chart definitely does NOT match the 0 ppm but also definitely does NOT match the 0.25 ppm. The best way I can describe it is that the test tube color is a very pale blue, but when put next to the 0 ppm color chart, the test tube has more "blue" to it, where the color chart has more of an "aqua" color to it, I guess I would say more "green" in it. I tried the test x2 and am coming up with the same result.

I'm tired of being in the "getting started" forum and want to graduate to the "fish profile" forum!!

Hi! With a nitrate level of 40-80ppm, you need to do a big water change anyway before getting fish. Your nitrates should be as low as you can get them (your tap level). Wait 15mins after the big wc & retest your nitrites (and nitrates). It sounds like your reading @.125ppm right now- the color looks a more 'blue' color vs an 'aqua' color that is on the chart for a zero reading.

If your tank has been steadily zeroing out amm/nitrite in 24hrs for a couple of days, you should be fine for fish after doing a water change. :)

Back
Top Bottom