right chemistry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ppotvin

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,

I am new, and i just purchased a 10 gallons tank/ freshwater I'm in Montreal, Quebec

this is my 2nd week...

to start I only have 3 platys

currently my readings are:
GH 180
KH120
PH 7
N02: 1
N03: 20

I know NO2 should be at 0, but did a couple water change already ( around 20% each, and that reading is not changing....

what can I do to bring the No2 to 0 and is the No3 ok? I don't use live plants, just a couple of plastic one and a "ship wreck"

Hi. Your tank is not completely cycled, so I suggest reading up on the nitrogen cycle. There is some good info here to start. http://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide-to-starting-a-freshwater-aquarium/
If you are not able to get the nitrIte (NO2) reading to change with partial water changes my guess is either there are nitrItes in your tap (you can test) or your test kit doesn't read amounts above zero but below one, and your measurements are just still between 0-1.
The only way to permanently reduce nitrItes is to completely cycle your tank. You'll need a test for ammonia also.
Your nitrate (NO3) reading is fine. The fact that you have some nitrate is good, it means that your tank has started to cycle unless there is nitrate already in your tap.
Btw in a 10 gallon for the fishes comfort/safety you should only add one more platy.

It will take some time for nitrites to drop. I've had good luck using Seachem Prime when doing a cycle with fish. It will bind the ammonia and nitrite ions for 24-48 hours. It will still show up on your water tests but makes them harmless to fish. With reasonable levels anyway. My nitrites go away in about 3 weeks but they varies widely. Keep up the water changes up with fish in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom