RIVERCATS 220G Transformation Journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks, I hope you are able to get it worked out soon. I know how frustrating it can be.

Especially for me! I've been doing planted tanks so long and rarely have any real algae issues so when I change a tank that has been literally algae free for over a year and start getting thread algae of all things it's past frustrating... lol! At least it's only some and only on certain plants but considering how good the tank and plants are looking with the new light and CO2 I guess it's worth the frustration of a bit of algae until I get the system balanced again.

Lets thank River

The more posts i read River the more i love your mind ! great artistry, a sense of humor in this hobby, not going to serious at times (for others, with yourself as serious as you feel you need to be) is just a gift. (y)

i have some friends who love a good debate with you, its not about agreeing on everything, its caring enough to have one. so thank you River for again giving someone a step by step through your OWN journey, thats whats helping me the most ! :banghead:

you said it to me in an (very helpful) email, some people would not remember what this tank looked like when it started, they look now and think about that, its a long long way from the start (im adlibbing but it was something like that and the meaning touched me) :hide:

and the process is helping me learn so much ! the sense of humour stops me being overwhelmed :facepalm:

so :thanks:
:fish2:

I'm what 3 days into CO2 and now your throwing reactor at me... :eek:! Let's at least let me get through the first week... lol!

Do you have bubbles in your tank? I'm not used to the bubbles and the pearling. Others say you don't even notice it after awhile. I just need to get there.

My age is showing but humor can get you though a lot of things that are frustrating, maddening, and so on. Plus I just can't be so serious all the time, that's just me. I watched my dad through the 50's and 60's doing the earliest planted tanks with wild collected plants and got hooked. But even now I am still learning and honestly will be learning with this hobby till the day I can no longer do it (I'll have to have one foot in the grave btw). Even us old dogs have problems here and there that stump us for a while and what good is this knowledge if it's not shared to help others. There is so much collective information on this forum and everyone has their own opinions and experiences and they aren't always going to be the same but through a peaceful constructive debate a lot of things can be learned by all. Remember when it get's too overwhelming, take a break and have a beer! Tomorrow is always a new day!

My age is showing but humor can get you though a lot of things that are frustrating, maddening, and so on. Plus I just can't be so serious all the time, that's just me. I watched my dad through the 50's and 60's doing the earliest planted tanks with wild collected plants and got hooked. But even now I am still learning and honestly will be learning with this hobby till the day I can no longer do it (I'll have to have one foot in the grave btw). Even us old dogs have problems here and there that stump us for a while and what good is this knowledge if it's not shared to help others. There is so much collective information on this forum and everyone has their own opinions and experiences and they aren't always going to be the same but through a peaceful constructive debate a lot of things can be learned by all. Remember when it get's too overwhelming, take a break and have a beer! Tomorrow is always a new day!

Amen!!!

That's what I love about this forum, everyone is so willing to help others and I for one have learned a lot just from reading the different threads on here. I always get help from someone when I post a problem and I appreciate everyone on here.

I'm still impatiently waiting!!! She is temporarily working two a full and part time job until the other one is ready for her full time in January so I don't want to push her too hard. If she'd just take the time to show me how then I could do it without waiting.

I'm still impatiently waiting!!! She is temporarily working two a full and part time job until the other one is ready for her full time in January so I don't want to push her too hard. If she'd just take the time to show me how then I could do it without waiting.

Haha MAN, she's busy! I know how that is haha. Definitely get her to show you, then you can show is pictures all the time!

Yeah she needs to show me BUT first she has to have time. Her theory is this... she can do it herself WAY faster than showing me (hum... think she's trying to tell me something... lol). She works full time at animal control and part time as a groomer. She has fixed it so she has 1 day off a week but then on Saturdays she works 8 to 4:30 then 5 to 9 at the 2nd. She's only 28 so she has the energy to do that now plus she likes the money. Good groomers make good money. But yeah I'd like to learn with the only drawback being I'd be posting pic's all the time! I finally got the kids to take the big fancy goldfish for their kids and have a 55g that I'm working on now. Planted and the only fish which are coming in this week are 8 Aspidoras Albater cats. This tank won't be so heavily planted like the 220. I actually want to be able to see and enjoy the fish in this tank! Plants are the focus on the 220, not so much on the 55.

I have just upped my Glut back to the full 9 ounces daily in "hopes" it helps with the bit of thread algae. I have to get a new toothbrush to manually remove it and try to figure out if the new LED's and or the extra micro's are causing it. I don't like when I can't pinpoint a problem. I kind of wondered if the new LED having a slightly higher blue spectrum at 8250K (I ) is a factor at since all my other bulbs are all 6000K. I haven't seen any thread algae since I had the 10K bulbs in the halides. Just trying to think of everything that is different in the tank now. Any thoughts?

Hi Janis, just curious if you pinpointed the culprit to this thread algae and if bringing the glut back worked? I read in another thread you now have 3 BML LED fixtures... so maybe that's a sign you approve of this light and it wasn't the problem?

I was looking at that light the other night but have no idea where to begin with picking what colors and what order to put them in. Looks like a awesome idea though.

Hi Janis, just curious if you pinpointed the culprit to this thread algae and if bringing the glut back worked? I read in another thread you now have 3 BML LED fixtures... so maybe that's a sign you approve of this light and it wasn't the problem?

What worked was cutting my micro's back to 1ml per 10g. I've been running the light 4 hours with the metal halides slowly upping the time. The BML's on the other 2 tanks are the only source of light and no problems with algae at all. Soooo.... seem my problem was dosing too much micro's since that is what solved the entire issue.

I was looking at that light the other night but have no idea where to begin with picking what colors and what order to put them in. Looks like a awesome idea though.

I went with the "Freshwater" tank light, not the Show tank light. And did the 75% beam angle for a slightly narrower and brighter light. I do suggest if you get one that you get the little dimmer cord/controller. That is really cool as you can go down to 10% light. If you want to design your own you should call and talk to them and they will help you design it or answer questions.

Hi Rivetcats,
How have you been?
I am so glad you were able to get rid of that hair algae. I know (from experience) how it is when you look at your tank and it looks just awful because of that stuff. Mine went away when I stopped dosing the micros and added two siamese algae eaters. Now I just have to find the right balance of micros to dose.

Hi Rivetcats,
How have you been?
I am so glad you were able to get rid of that hair algae. I know (from experience) how it is when you look at your tank and it looks just awful because of that stuff. Mine went away when I stopped dosing the micros and added two siamese algae eaters. Now I just have to find the right balance of micros to dose.

I am back to the basic PPS-Pro dosing of 1ml per 10g water. I am going to slowly raise it just a little after 2 or 3 more weeks. All is good again and I'm going to let the tank stabilize again before doing anything differently.

Hi Rivetcats,
How have you been?

Barbara your PM inbox is full, you need to empty it so I can send your answer.

Back
Top Bottom