Ro/di system

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The API kits really aren't good for saltwater (the ammonia and nitrIte are fine, but the others don't have the low range resolution you need).

Do you have a skimmer? And it might be better to switch to LEDs (either chinese ones from ebay or ones from BuildMyLED.com ) if you start dropping $$$ on your existing lights for new bulbs, etc.

Sadly, when it comes to API only the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate are worth their weight. All the rest are junk...I fell into the same trap when I started in the hobby. Same goes for the hydrometer. I have 2 of the pieces of junk. The hanna checkers are worth their weight in gold IMO.
Atleast on a good note the lighting is nice. Have you owned the tank for the whole 7-8 years, it doesn't appear that way.

I don't think the API nitrAte kit is worth it for saltwater use.

If your test kits are old (more than a year or two), they may be expired, too. If that's the case, go with Hanna and either Salifert, RedSea, Lamotte, or some other test kit...

I do have a fairly large insump skimmer. I don't know the brand name. Tonight when I get home I am doing a 20gal water change straight from the sump and plan to dismantle the skimmer and I'll post some photos and maybe someone can identify that and my return pump.

Sadly, when it comes to API only the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate are worth their weight. All the rest are junk...I fell into the same trap when I started in the hobby. Same goes for the hydrometer. I have 2 of the pieces of junk. The hanna checkers are worth their weight in gold IMO.
Atleast on a good note the lighting is nice. Have you owned the tank for the whole 7-8 years, it doesn't appear that way.

I apologize...in my rambling I failed to disclose that I have only owned this setup for a month and a week so far. I bought it and transported all of the live rock,water, and fish home (which was a 3.5 hour ride) in brand new 32 gallon trash cans and new 5 gallon buckets.

Is it all new sand...? That is a almost 8 years of poop, food, and other detrius built up that has been stirred up by the move.

I put 20 lbs of new sand in. The rest is the original. When I got home I rinsed it all real well before I put it in the tank.

Ouch...that's gonna hold a lot of chlorine and everything else that was present in the water. I might let the sand dry out. It won't get rid of the dissolved solids that were in the water, but at least the chlorine should out-gas and go away. Either that, or just do an RO/DI rinse once you get your unit.

You might be able to use some Prime to dechlorinate and bind to the heavy metals in the water, too...Folks use tap in their tanks w/ Prime, so I'd imagine that for the (relatively) small amount of water being held in the sand, compared to the total system volume, you should be OK with a Prime treatment after getting saltwater in the tank.

Is there a way to test for chlorine? Couldn't I use a dechlorinizing additive?

I'm treating with Amquel right now which is comparable to Prime. It's been three days.

Never used it, but if it's a good dechlorinator, I think you should be OK. Just make sure to use RO/DI from now on :)

Back
Top Bottom