Rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ejmcgeever

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys I'm starting a cichlids tank and I have done them before but this one I want more natural so I have a white sand bottom what is good to use for fake rock? I hear lace rock looks really good? Help me out!? Thanks!

Ej,

other than the Cichlid rocks I ordered (I like) maybe Texas Holey rock its lighter colored for the most part mixed with other types. I like the Texas Holey rock's apperance.

Alot of people use Cichlid stones but I have never likes the fake decorations. I prefer real stone which from a landscape company can be purchase for pennies on the pound as opposed to the LFS which sells them for $5lbs. I use limestone in my African tanks to help buffer the PH levels. I bough Texas holey rock here for 26 cents a pound, I love seeing that stuff for $5-7lbs everywhere else.

http://www.underwatergalleries.com/Cichlid_Stones.html

Is there anything special you need to do to
Keep real stone?

I do like the look of the real stones more but it does also displace alot of water. I dunno if it makes much difference though. Im still so new at it I havent made my mind up :)

Nope, just knock any loose soil and give them bath. If you don't want rock to alter the PH level, pour some vinegar on the rock and if it fizzes then it will raise the PH. I also enjoy getting out there and finding your own around creeks/lakes.

Cool my tanks been cycling so I'm gonna go get some rock this weekend! Thanks for the input. Check back soon and I'll update on what I choose to go with!

Rich,

Have you boiled some? I read somewhere else that if you boil them (which is what I thought you should do) then if they have an air pocket they could rupture or actually explode.

Rich,

Have you boiled some? I read somewhere else that if you boil them (which is what I thought you should do) then if they have an air pocket they could rupture or actually explode.
Yep, I've heard this numerous times. I would never recommend boiling or baking in an oven.

All of my rocks that were in my 150g mbuna tank were from a local creek. Cheap, effective, and they looked nice too

i like doing like mfd said creek rocks and then i also like flat stone like the kind used in landscaping, slate would work the same way.

What do you all think of lace rock? I really like the look of if. Is it ok for a cichlid tank?

Hi all
just to let you know i have river rock in my tank it looks great and cost me nothing just my own time to collect it and pick the ones i wanted, i would say its close to 60kg maybe more and i boiled every bit of it with no problems

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom