Rotala doing something weird

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Harveyman

Aquarium Advice Regular
My rotala, not sure what kind, for some reason has been growing well... you just have to see this:
CameraZOOM-20110327212355.jpg

Why is it doing that?

It is a 29 gallon tank, pH= 7.0, nitrate is around 10. 48 watts of light. Dosing flourish 2.5 ml twice a week, and flourish nitrogen 20 ml every other day (water sprite and anacharis eat nitrate like candy)

What are we talking about? The fact that it is bent over? It is rotala rotundifolia btw. Is it close to the filter output? It doesn't look particularly healthy. Are you dosing any potassium or phosphate? What kind of light is it? T5ho I am guessing at that wattage?

The fact that it is bent over is more puzzling to me. It looks a lot better than it did before I replaced the lights (which are t5 HOs). There are two bulbs: one 5,000K and one 6,500K. It is not any where near any sources of water flow. I am not dosing any potassium or phosphate (should I).

Maybe. If it isn't near the outflow, the stems may be weak from a nutrient deficiency. Are you running any co2 ATM? Is there a good root system developing with the rotala?

I am running diy co2 at around 1 bubble per second. I just tried pulling gently on the base of the stem and it didn't want to come out, so I assume it has at least some roots. Would a better shot of the stem tip help?

Edit: the temperature is 70 degrees F by the way.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to find a phosphate test, I am going to try another store tomorrow.

I just ran the test and it came back at 5 ppm. I think that might be bad, so I did a 25% water change.

Back
Top Bottom