Rummynose or Harlequins?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CherryBarb123

Aquarium Advice Freak
I adore both Rummynose and Harlequins and I don't know which one to choose!

I have a 55 gallon aquarium which has:

6 x Julii Corydoras
6 x Bleeding Heart Tetras
4 x Cherry Barbs
2 x Honey Gourami

I hope to add eventually stock:

8 x Julii Corydoras
8 x Bleeding Heart Tetras
2 x Honey Gourami
5 x Otto
3 x German Blue Rams OR Bolivian Rams
8 x Cherry Barbs
10 x Rummynose Tetras OR Harlequin Rasbora

And I am wondering which one in your opinion is better - Harlequins or Rummynose. I am quite taken by both, and both look great. I will be looking for a school of around 10.

Any input is greatly appreciated :)

I am also open to any other shoaling fish suggestions.

Thanks

I have rummynose with my cherry barbs so far haven't seen any problems
I have a school of 20+ with 6 chrries in the tank
They love there swimming room & they look great :)

That's probably good..... as long as the rummys are at least twice the size of the school of cherries..... safety in numbers, I guess. :)

Hmm hard one, I love harlequins to pieces but also rummy nose :D I suppose you could have a school of each, they don't bother eachothet.

Thanks!

I would LOVE to have a shoal of each. Given what I already have though, I don't think this would be possible?

Thanks

If your waters fine and your ph and all.. A few more fish doesn't hurt.. I mean I've got a 15gal with.. 2 mollies, 2 BN plecos, 3 corys, 6 black phantoms, 6 neons and 2 ballloon mollies.. Sounds overstocked I know.. But the water is clear as glass itself and all of the fish have had a full life when they die, no fin fit or stress lines ;)

Thanks! I also don't want it to look to crowded.

My concern with the rummies would be the Bleeding hearts as they are quite big and boisterous and can be nippy when they want to be, so would that freak them out a bit?

Thanks

Do the Rummies stay down the lower half, because then I think the top half will look a bit empty etc?

First, where do your bleeding hearts like to swim.. Because harlequins will basically swim At the top and rummy middle I bottom so depends where you have space, rummies are more timid and are t as hardy as the harlequins.

First, where do your bleeding hearts like to swim.. Because harlequins will basically swim At the top and rummy middle I bottom so depends where you have space, rummies are more timid and are t as hardy as the harlequins.

My Bleeding Hearts are in the lower to middle section.

Womble1234 said:
If your waters fine and your ph and all.. A few more fish doesn't hurt.. I mean I've got a 15gal with.. 2 mollies, 2 BN plecos, 3 corys, 6 black phantoms, 6 neons and 2 ballloon mollies.. Sounds overstocked I know.. But the water is clear as glass itself and all of the fish have had a full life when they die, no fin fit or stress lines ;)

the water being clear does not mean anything! your water parameters are what matter ( ammonia, nitrites, nitrates) as well as your water change schedule ...
your tank is over stocked in my opinion,

so please don't base stocking on the clarity of water

So then I'd go for harlequins, they are near the top and would stay of of harms way :)

rreekers said:
the water being clear does not mean anything! your water parameters are what matter ( ammonia, nitrites, nitrates) as well as your water change schedule ...
your tank is over stocked in my opinion,

so please don't base stocking on the clarity of water

Sorry, I was just stating it was clear too :p the ammonia and everything like that are perfect, never had a problem and the water Changes about 25%-35% a week.

It's okie, I'm sure when you go to make your final decision, the Lfs will help you with any questions

Back
Top Bottom