Rummynose or Harlequins?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have already done a thread about this but I am still not sure!

Stocking my tank is proving difficult as I cannot make my mind up!!!

If I suggest some things I like would someone please be able to help me make a decision?!

Here is a pic of the tank

Attachments

• 2012-02-14 12.16.18.jpg
    2012-02-14 12.16.18.jpg
    253.1 KB · Views: 67
I already have:

6 Bleeding Hearts
6 Julii Corydoras
2 Honey Gourami
4 Cherry Barbs

I like (Of course not all of these :) ):

Harlequins
Bolivian Rams
Marbled Hatchets (Although I would be terrified in case they jumped out! :D)
Ottos
Kribensis
Angelfish (I guess it wouldn't work)
Rummies
Cardinal Tetras
YoYo loaches
Kuhli Loaches
Zebra Loaches

Im not too familiar with the loaches, angelfish is a no no :D the gouramis would actually poo themselves and the cherry barbs would too :p I think any of the other fish are ok to put in your tank, it's your choice man :)

Im not too familiar with the loaches, angelfish is a no no :D the gouramis would actually poo themselves and the cherry barbs would too :p I think any of the other fish are ok to put in your tank, it's your choice man :)

Thanks!! Sadly, that is my issue - I cannot decide :banghead: I like big schools and so I don't want a massive assortment of different species when I could have a large group of something :)

Thanks

Well, I've got very similar tankmates in my 29g, so here's my observations:

Swimmers:
-5 Bleeding hearts - Biker gang "Rockers" of the tank. If I had to describe them in one word, it would be Boisterous. They are large compared to everyone else, and occasionally like to let everybody know it, but they don't do any harm.... They’re usually in the bottom 2/3's of the tank.

-6 Harlequins - The "Mods". They hang out at the top of the center 1/3 of the tank, mostly just putt around strutting their dorsals, and will dive bomb the Rockers when they're getting a little big for their britches.

- 6 Rummynose - The "Jocks". Whenever the Rockers get out of hand, they surround them like dolphins around a school of tuna, confuse the hell out of 'em for a little while, and then cruise away laughing..... They pretty much stay in the bottom 1/3 of the tank.

- 3 Guppies - Two female Cobras & a male Lyre-tail King Cobra. This is the cool dude with a chick on each arm.... 'nough said. They go where ever they want in the tank.

Others:
- 4 Otos & 5 Panda Corys – The “Nerds”. They are studiously working all the time, and aren't to be bothered with anyone else.

- 4 Kuhli Loaches – The “Vamps”. I think they’d be scared of their own shadow if they ever came out with the lights on.

That’s my well-stocked tank. I’ll be upgrading to a 55 or 75 sometime in the future, and will be adding more cast to the show.

Phranque said:
Well, I've got very similar tankmates in my 29g, so here's my observations:

Swimmers:
-5 Bleeding hearts - Biker gang "Rockers" of the tank. If I had to describe them in one word, it would be Boisterous. They are large compared to everyone else, and occasionally like to let everybody know it, but they don't do any harm.... They’re usually in the bottom 2/3's of the tank.

-6 Harlequins - The "Mods". They hang out at the top of the center 1/3 of the tank, mostly just putt around strutting their dorsals, and will dive bomb the Rockers when they're getting a little big for their britches.

- 6 Rummynose - The "Jocks". Whenever the Rockers get out of hand, they surround them like dolphins around a school of tuna, confuse the hell out of 'em for a little while, and then cruise away laughing..... They pretty much stay in the bottom 1/3 of the tank.

- 3 Guppies - Two female Cobras & a male Lyre-tail King Cobra. This is the cool dude with a chick on each arm.... 'nough said. They go where ever they want in the tank.

Others:
- 4 Otos & 5 Panda Corys – The “Nerds”. They are studiously working all the time, and aren't to be bothered with anyone else.

- 4 Kuhli Loaches – The “Vamps”. I think they’d be scared of their own shadow if they ever came out with the lights on.

That’s my well-stocked tank. I’ll be upgrading to a 55 or 75 sometime in the future, and will be adding more cast to the show.

Haha! Your tank needs its own tv show!

Personally I find harlequins much easier to keep than rummy's .Rummy's look great but I haven't had a great success rate with them.Just my experience though I'm sure you'll have better luck :)

Haha! Your tank needs its own tv show!

Lol!!! Reality tv that stuff!!!

You can tell you're a fish lover when you'd rather sit & watch your tank than the crap that's on TV......

Personally I find harlequins much easier to keep than rummy's .Rummy's look great but I haven't had a great success rate with them.Just my experience though I'm sure you'll have better luck :)

Agreed. Rummys are pretty sensitive to water quality. I run a Fluval 204 with the above mentioned stock, and it does great. I do a 40% pwc once a week with 75%/25% RO/tap water to keep my KH at about 5 (pH 7.4-7.6), and that's enough to maintain <20 Nitrate.

Ok! Thanks, it seems that harlequins may be better - at least they still look quite nice. I would probably be terrified of killing the rummies if they can be that sensitive :)

Thanks

My rummies aren't super sensitive to water quality and actually a pretty hardy fish. They have lived through a major tank crash*that took the lives of several of their tankmates) and several other smaller issues. If you can get good stock, they often do well. But, you need to start with good, healthy ones. :) I still think you should get harlies instead, I just felt the need to stand up for the rummies. Lol. It is true though that some people have awful luck with them, even in good conditions. A lot of the ones you find in stores are wild caught and they seem to be more sensitive than tank bred ones in general.

About harlequins staying at the top, most of the time mine would just swim on the bottom against the current flow from the filter....
I do have a pic of them doing just that in my profile

Also. If you plan on getting some dwarf cichlids (Kribs, rams, Apisto ect...) They do better in a pair and not 3 as the lonely will be picked and bullied by the other pair. If someone has mentions this already im sorry for repeating it

I am not 100% sure on the dwarf cichlids. Thanks, if I do I will keep a pair :)

Back
Top Bottom