rummynose tetras not looking so rummy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

minzabella

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have three rummys and they've all gone pale! they had ich about a week and a half ago.. I turned the heater up and have been keeping the tank around 85-86 degrees. I just tested the water and the nitrite had jumped from 0 to 10, nitrate at 20 (GH 75, KH 80, pH 7.. havent tested the ammonia yet today).. how can I get the nitrite level back down? could that be why my tetras look so sad? all my fish are behaving like healthy fish, and the ich seems to be gone...
(sorry this is posted twice!! this is the second time I've posted in the wrong forum. :cry: I couldnt delete the other identical post. blug.)

Do a partial water change for the nitrites and start creepin down the temperature to 70's. most fish will lose coloration if ill or if unhappy with the water conditions. Inadequate diet can also lead to this, but if the loss of color is recent, you can bet that it's due to the poor water conditions and recent illness.

i think it was high heat for up to 2 weeks to get rid of ich. You can also do a small partial water change to help control the nitrite.

The loss of color is typical for rummys if they are stressed or sick. I think the nitrites and nitrates could be a big factor. When I researched them before getting my own, I read they need very high water quality and nitrate will cause them to loose color. I would do water changes as has been suggested already.

If the ich is completely gone, lower your temp slowly and reduce the water level in the tank to create some splashing. Nitrite poisoning will make it harder for the fish to get oxygen in the water, which is also the case with higher temps. I'll echo the recommendation to increase water changes and if you can get some Bio-Spira I'd add that too, to get your good bacteria back in action.

Rummynose tetras are like the "canary in the coal mine" and will show signs of worsening water conditions more quickly than other fish, so it is always a good idea to pay attention to how those rummies are looking.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom