Ryukin Goldfish has white dot on fin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jhakie

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My goldfish has developed this dot that looks like a pimple. How do I treat it?

Attachments

• image-817078230.jpg
    image-817078230.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 96
Welcome Aboard!

Does it protrude out of the fin (like a pimple)? I can't really tell from the pic.

Could be anything from a fungus to the start of ick.

Details on your setup (tank size, stocking level, water parameters, etc) really help us, help you.

Could just be that regular water changes (PWC) are needed. Goldfish are dirty and if you're not doing regular PWC, it might be the first outward signs of something else like fungus IMO/E.

Here's a couple links that I'd suggest checking out.

Ryukin Goldfish, Carassius auratus, Fancy goldfish, goldfish Care and information with goldfish pictures

Goldfish Care, Fancy Goldfish and Goldfish Diseases, Guide to taking care of goldfish

It did look like a pimple, but I treated the water with Furan-2 and now it's more like a tiny bit of cotton.

I have a 10 gal tank with 2 ryukin goldfish, decorated with lots of hiding spaces.

I do a 20% water change every week.

Tested recently and everything was normal except the nitrate was about 5ppm

Jhakie said:
It did look like a pimple, but I treated the water with Furan-2 and now it's more like a tiny bit of cotton.

I have a 10 gal tank with 2 ryukin goldfish, decorated with lots of hiding spaces.

I do a 20% water change every week.

Tested recently and everything was normal except the nitrate was about 5ppm

Sounds like the right meds to use IMO, but the bigger issue I see is that 2 goldies in a 10g is way overstocked. 30g is more appropriate in the very near future. If everything is zero and no3 is 5ppm, that's sounds like good numbers to me. I'd suggest 50% PWC twice a week until you can get a bigger tank, since even 1 goldfish in a 10g is going to be problematic down the road.

Back
Top Bottom