Ryukins in the backyard pond

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This pond practically maintains itself. I clean out the pre-filter on the pump and check the pump itself once a week to make sure everything is working properly. The plants in the bog filter have exploded with new growth. I'm giving them root tabs about every six weeks.

There still has been no measurable ammonia in the pond. Our daytime air temps have been in the low to mid 90s for about three weeks now, and the pond temp has held between 76 and 78 each day, falling about 4 degrees at night. My water has stayed clear, and the fish are also eating algae, some of the salvinia, and some roots on the water lettuce, although so far, the lettuce has managed to off-set new plants faster than the fish can eat it.

I'm particularly pleased with the $5 lily-in-a-bag I got from one of the big box stores, although I'll have to pot it up properly this fall. It's a nymphaea Sioux, and is supposed to be fully hardy in my planting zone. Once the lotus got its emergent leaves (as Alspond told me it would), I lowered it about 8 inches deeper in the pond. It continues to put out new leaves.

The wees are not so wee any more. And like Blondie and Gypsy, they love their veggies and fruits. I'm going to have to start feeding a whole orange instead of a half, because the ryukins can tear up a half one in a couple of hours. I go through a half dozen zucchini cut into spears each week.

And now, I "need" an underwater camera.

Last edited:
The first thing I thought about when I saw the pic of the Goldies feeding was "Don't drop the camera in the water!" Or else you will have your "underwater camera".
Thanks for sharing. I enjoy pond builds, especially the filter/plumbing aspects. Sometimes more than the livestock. I belonged to a koi club BTI (before the Internet) and in the newsletters (whats that?) and meetings, the variety and science of pond/filter design was a well discussed topic.

I am loving this pond. So far, things have worked exactly as I hoped. My next test will probably be the summer heat.

I am loving this pond. So far, things have worked exactly as I hoped. My next test will probably be the summer heat.

Being an above ground pool, it might get a bit warmer (than an in ground pool). The filter's waterfall should help keep the surface agitated and the O2 up. The overhead trees should provide some benefit via shading.

Update

Just thought I'd update with a photo of my lotus in bloom.

I watched the bud on this sucker for a little over two weeks. I see from other pond forums that it takes a while for the flower to open.

But then, it's all worth the wait.

Evening Showers lotus

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom