Sad news, Please read

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That really is terrible. Sorry! I'm have to agree w/ a few other posters...never feel ashamed. These people are fantastic and your admitting an error is only going to help someone else not make that mistake. We learn from our mistakes and so do the others we share them with.

I read the thread up until now and I was wondering what did you use to do the partial water change? Is it a bucket that may have contained something else at some pont? A pitcher that was washed but may have had some soap?

I'll admit a mistake too...I once used a hose to fill a tank not realizing at the time that the previous owner (freind) used it to empty their water bed. The water had conditioners in it that i'm sure lined the hose even after the long period of time since they used it. End result...not good.

Cute avitar.

img_877797_0_17a6cf22d20e1a414246bdabe8689216.jpg

img_877797_1_715d8023c637f34c591fff853610e12d.jpg

Sorry for going off subject.

I am so sorry for your losses. Please never be afraid to post on here, for any reason. I think you will find our members both supportive and helpful.

My first thought is contamination. Did you wash your hands prior to moving the fish or cleaning the tank? I also would be suspect of gasses built up in the substrate having been released suddenly.

So you added the new water batch without letting it mix overnight?

If your using a product that removes chlorine amd neutralizes chloramine or don't have either in the water the only reason I can think of to set water out overnight is to equalize the temperature. In earlier days before declorinators and the addition of cloramine in the water that was the way to "gas off" the chlorine.

Did he even add enough. And adding any additive to your water for improved conditions is always a last resort and means you have less control. Then was there an ammonia spike later? Was this even tested for before adding water conditioner?

Then the fact that if you used RO/DI water and let it circulate would he still have this problem.Its best to pre eliminate these questions before they are in question.

Lance- The OP used Prime (at the proper dosage) when doing the water change. S/He did not use tank additives, only Prime.

The gas buildup is less likely to occur in a gravel substrate, especially considering the age of the tank. I suppose it's possible, but I wouldn't count on it as the cause. Did you notice a foul odor coming from the tank when you stirred the gravel? If so, then it could be the release of gases from the substrate. I've never had the gas buildup but from what I've read, it is a very foul smelling experience.

Lance- The OP used Prime (at the proper dosage) when doing the water change. S/He did not use tank additives, only Prime.

The gas buildup is less likely to occur in a gravel substrate, especially considering the age of the tank. I suppose it's possible, but I wouldn't count on it as the cause. Did you notice a foul odor coming from the tank when you stirred the gravel? If so, then it could be the release of gases from the substrate. I've never had the gas buildup but from what I've read, it is a very foul smelling experience.

sorry to contradict you, but toxic gas buildup is impossible in the gravel,
the basic definition of a buildup is that it BUILDS UP ... whilst in the gravel gas cannot accumulate (h2s's density is lower then h2o's ... which means that the gas "leaks" from the gravel)

personaly i have no ideea what could have went wrong, but i have some tips what did NOT do it.

1. the water temp swing
i had fish go from 88 to 70 and from 70 back to 88 in matter of 24-36 hrs (power shortage due a fusible burnt)

2. the PH swing
in my current tank i have a problem (no ideea what) that swings my PH every 2-3 days from 4.0 to 7.5 and then slowly back.
99% of my fish are still in good conditions

3. residues on hands
honestly i am no 100% sure on this, but i am pretty sure they could not have died in hours due some minor residues on your hands (dirt perfume ...) unless you dripped your hand in toxic waste.

from the fish behaviour, (they went up to surface to get oxygen) i think the tap water had a problem. i think there was a work done to your water pipe and some residues remained inside. something that might have consumed your oxygen in the tank, or that might have released some major quantities of co2 (dioxid carbon) + co (monoxid carbon ... even more toxic)

question:
how big was the PWC?

Mistic- Yeah, I was thinking along the same logic, it's not possible in gravel, but I didn't want to say it is impossible since in aquaria, nothing is concerete. :)

That really is terrible. Sorry! I'm have to agree w/ a few other posters...never feel ashamed. These people are fantastic and your admitting an error is only going to help someone else not make that mistake. We learn from our mistakes and so do the others we share them with.

I read the thread up until now and I was wondering what did you use to do the partial water change? Is it a bucket that may have contained something else at some pont? A pitcher that was washed but may have had some soap?

I'll admit a mistake too...I once used a hose to fill a tank not realizing at the time that the previous owner (freind) used it to empty their water bed. The water had conditioners in it that i'm sure lined the hose even after the long period of time since they used it. End result...not good.

I use old water gal jugs that I got at the store I drink bottle water so I used old ones never was soap in them;) I was thinking maybe it was me or my daughter had soap on our hands but my son pointed out to us that did we not put our hands in the other tank (29) I said oh yea I caught the glolites from there, and chased zebras, THEY R ALKL FINE in that tank so our hands were not the problem, or the 29 gal would be all dead also, im soooo confused!

If your using a product that removes chlorine amd neutralizes chloramine or don't have either in the water the only reason I can think of to set water out overnight is to equalize the temperature. In earlier days before declorinators and the addition of cloramine in the water that was the way to "gas off" the chlorine.

no did not let it sit never did before I use prime, am I right?

No no smell If its that bad as u say I would have noticed, and I add 2 drops to 1 gal, of prime and only prime

the basic definition of a buildup is that it BUILDS UP ... whilst in the gravel gas cannot accumulate (h2s's density is lower then h2o's ... which means that the gas "leaks" from the gravel)

personaly i have no ideea what could have went wrong, but i have some tips what did NOT do it.

1. the water temp swing
i had fish go from 88 to 70 and from 70 back to 88 in matter of 24-36 hrs (power shortage due a fusible burnt)

2. the PH swing
in my current tank i have a problem (no ideea what) that swings my PH every 2-3 days from 4.0 to 7.5 and then slowly back.
99% of my fish are still in good conditions

3. residues on hands
honestly i am no 100% sure on this, but i am pretty sure they could not have died in hours due some minor residues on your hands (dirt perfume ...) unless you dripped your hand in toxic waste.

from the fish behaviour, (they went up to surface to get oxygen) i think the tap water had a problem. i think there was a work done to your water pipe and some residues remained inside. something that might have consumed your oxygen in the tank, or that might have released some major quantities of co2 (dioxid carbon) + co (monoxid carbon ... even more toxic)

question:
how big was the PWC?

about 25% as I do every monday.......but I tested the water and all levels were Great!, im scared now cause tommrow is my day to do a PWC on my 29 gal tank

I wouldn't say impossible ..... less likely in coarse gravel compared to sand, but possible.

I just took down a tank my daughter had in her room. She turned the HOB filter off because it was too loud (didn't tell me!). After a week or maybe 2, I removed her fish & stir up the gravel (1/4" aquarium gravel, 2-3" deep), and the resulting rotting egg odor filled the whole house (and I got major heck for that!) So, yes, you can have H2S build up in gravel, I have smelt it ... yuck!

However, H2S is pretty wicked smelling, so if the OP did not smell anything but just noticed yuckies in the tank bottom, that makes my theory less likely.

about 25% as I do every monday.......but I tested the water and all levels were Great!, im scared now cause tommrow is my day to do a PWC on my 29 gal tank

I would go ahead and do the PWC, only maybe do a smaller one than you normally do just to be safe. Do only maybe a 10% change and then keep a good eye on the fish for any sign of trouble.

I think the gas your all talking about is a wanted gas in a DSB setup and its the release of nitrogen which is harmless. Its what you want as its converting ammonia and nitrate by doinf this.

I can see a build up of gas in CC if theres some type of barrier to trap it , like algea or built up fish waste and food and other debris. but if flow is right and powerheads positioned right then this would be alot harder.
Many times new reefers see green algea with bubbles under it so its kinda the same.

A tank pic would have helped. Oh and fish coming to the surface is most likely low oxygen saruration in the water as the O2 they need you cant even see.

The gas that we are referring is not wanted. It is from insuffient stirring of a sand substrate. The release of the gas pockets is toxic to the fish.

Back
Top Bottom