Safely Lowerin PH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PrettyFishies

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just setup my pressurized Co2 system and am in the process of bringing the PH down to about 6.7 (5.0 KH = 29.8 PPM)

I started at 7.3 this morning and stopped when I hit 7.0. How fast should I be lowering the PH as to not stress the fish?

Are you saying it's okay to go from 7.3 to 6.7 in one day?

How do you know if you have a leak?

My low pressure valve went to ZERO after being off for a few hours...

This article has information on how to hook up a pressurized system and ensure that there aren't any leaks.

You can make the change in PH in even less time. The main reason to take changes slowly is to ensure that you don't over shoot your mark too drastically. (ie push CO2 over 100ppm where it can start causing problems)

It is fine and not a problem to go from 7.3 to 6.7 in one day when CO2 is driving it down.

You can use a bottle of water with a few drop of detergent in it to check for leaks. Mist all the external stuff, just enough to make a film and any leaks will bubble.

If the detergent scares you, spit will make a bubble rubbing a bit around connectors. Sorry if that grosses you out but it works.

Back
Top Bottom