Salt creep...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dmolavi

Aquarium Advice Addict
Holy cr@p on a cracker...I'm cleaning the top and rim of my tank every couple of days...is there any way to minimize it (besides limiting splash, of which I have zero), or is it just an "occupational hazard"?

I think it it the latter. Evaporation is occurring in my FW tanks all the time; I just don't see the "evidence".

Just curious...do you know the relative humidity in the room the tank is in? I am not sure what the affect of humidity has on evaporation rate on a tank. My guess is that higher relative humidity would lead to lower evaporation.

Of course a cover with minimal open areas would do the trick but that has its drawbacks as well (depending on the setup).

The humidity is low, now that the weather is cooling down and the heat is on. But, evaporation is different than salt creep...are they connected, I'm sure they are..

I noticed on my 55 gallon that if I didn't keep it topped off I'd get a bunch of salt creep. I'm not sure if this is your situation

I'll have to see if it tracks w/ water loss...I do top off once or twice a week, but plan on getting an ATO soon to do it for me.

Back
Top Bottom