Salt-n-pepper Molly has Gotten Shy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Barakis

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi guys, since I'm new here I'm gonna keep it simple and literally answer the questions in the sticky, but basically I have 2 salt and pepper mollies( I think 1 male 1 female as the bottom fins are different, although not sure which is which).

In the last few days it has stopped coming out in the open, and spends most of its time in the tower I have hiding, before this it has been fairly active. The other mollie is still fairly active, it is quite aggressive though, sorta always has been.

1~What type of fish is afflicted?
A: Salt n pepper mollie ( I think female)

2~What are your tank parameters
A: ph 8.2, amm 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 40 ish (trying to get it down but so far no success)

3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?
A: It's a 65L hex tank, hooded. The tank has been set up for a couple of years, but mid January I crashed it totally. Lost a few fish and the 2 mollies and plec are the only ones that survived the chaos. Tank has been cycled properly for about 2 months now.

4~What type of filtration are you using?
A: "superfish aqua-flow 400" variable 200-800 l/h ( I run it at about 300 litres/hour)

5~How many fish are in the tank?
A: I have 11 neons (tiny ones), the 2 mollies (m & f I think, 2 inches) and a pleco (sailfin, 6.5 inches)

6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel?
A:Gravel cleaned and water changed weekly when I can (I work away so sometimes it's 2 weeks) water changed 10%-25% depending on water removed to clean gravel.

7~How long have you had the fish?
A: Just over 3 months but they had a slightly troubled start

8~Have you added anything new to the tank?
A:Added some java fern and a moss ball (to try fight the nitrate) about 3 weeks ago.

9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently?
A:feed every other day (fish switch between daphnia frozen and flakes, and pleco courgette and wafers. They LOVE the daphnia.

Hopefully it's nothing, but any input would be greatly appreciated. Sorry its a bit long

Last edited:
i have thought of that, i'm 90% sure i have a male and a female, gestation period is long though so it will be a while to find out. didn't want anything else to be going on in the mean time.

ok so slight update, it seems she does come out of hiding and swim about a bit, but when i aproach the tank and look in she swims off, this one has never done this before, they have both always been mental active

any ideas?

Back
Top Bottom