Salvini's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've done some research but it all vary's alot...

What is the bare minimum size tank for a breeding pair of Salvini's starting together at 3in?
Are they as easy to breed as convicts? What is there to know about them that is irregular?

For a short time you may get away with a 40 breeder depending on how the tank is set up along with the temperament of the male. They are extremely aggressive and it's common for the male to kill the female if he's ready to spawn and she's not.

They will start to spawn at a early age with the female around 1.5-2" and I generally have new eggs around every 6 weeks on average. They are extremely hard on tank mates during this which is common for central americans, I've had them kill larger festae guarding fry. So if dithers are used to distract the male make sure they can handle the punishment or at least are fast!

As the fish matures and ages this behavior only gets worse and the tank should be upgraded to a minimum of 48" of least 55g, although 75g would be better simply do water quality and better décor options. The largest salvini I've owned reached a little over 9" for the male and his mate was nearly 7". This pair was bonded pretty tight but even then it was common for the female to have tail fin damage and some bite marks occasionally. They would not allow for any tankmates to live for more than a few days so they were alone for a couple of years until rehomed them.

For a short time you may get away with a 40 breeder depending on how the tank is set up along with the temperament of the male. They are extremely aggressive and it's common for the male to kill the female if he's ready to spawn and she's not.

They will start to spawn at a early age with the female around 1.5-2" and I generally have new eggs around every 6 weeks on average. They are extremely hard on tank mates during this which is common for central americans, I've had them kill larger festae guarding fry. So if dithers are used to distract the male make sure they can handle the punishment or at least are fast!

As the fish matures and ages this behavior only gets worse and the tank should be upgraded to a minimum of 48" of least 55g, although 75g would be better simply do water quality and better décor options. The largest salvini I've owned reached a little over 9" for the male and his mate was nearly 7". This pair was bonded pretty tight but even then it was common for the female to have tail fin damage and some bite marks occasionally. They would not allow for any tankmates to live for more than a few days so they were alone for a couple of years until rehomed them.

How likely is it to get a pair? How long does it take for a male to reach 5in? How long could 2 be kept in a 26g tank? That is the size I can get but I'm starting to think I should choose a different species...

How likely is it to get a pair? How long does it take for a male to reach 5in? How long could 2 be kept in a 26g tank? That is the size I can get but I'm starting to think I should choose a different species...

I personally would not attempt to keep them in a 26g for any amount of time, the likelihood that things turn south due to aggression is extremely high.

I personally would not attempt to keep them in a 26g for any amount of time, the likelihood that things turn south due to aggression is extremely high.

What chiclads would you recommend for breeding?
Shell dwellers?
Convicts?
Jewels?
Rams?
Kribs?

I want a very high chance of fry AND the parents happy...
I dislike convicts because lack of color but...

What do you intend to do to with the fry? If your looking to make a few dollars then I'd do Lamprologus ocellatus or Apistogramma panduro. Otherwise the few you listed while they're easy to bred the fry are nearly worthless due to the availability of the fish.

What do you intend to do to with the fry? If your looking to make a few dollars then I'd do Lamprologus ocellatus or Apistogramma panduro. Otherwise the few you listed while they're easy to bred the fry are nearly worthless due to the availability of the fish.

I'd be happy just with fry...

Can you list the ones I posted from easiest to hardest?

Back
Top Bottom