Same sickness again?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Revenantwing

Aquarium Advice Freak
I notice every time i do big changes in the tank or i feel like I'm stressing out the fish. He gets like a peeling scale on his right eye on the same spot. It usually heals in 2-3 days but then if i do a big change again then its back to the spot.

But sometimes even after doing my normal water changes he might get them after. When it does happen i just add stress coat

I notice every time i do big changes in the tank or i feel like I'm stressing out the fish. He gets like a peeling scale on his right eye on the same spot. It usually heals in 2-3 days but then if i do a big change again then its back to the spot.

When you do a PWC, how do you preform it (bucket, python, etc?) and what are you using to dechlorinate your tap water with?

Sounds like something about your tap water, or how the PWC is done may be causing the issue and I'd start looking there myself.

Mr. Limpet said:
When you do a PWC, how do you preform it (bucket, python, etc?) and what are you using to dechlorinate your tap water with?

Sounds like something about your tap water, or how the PWC is done may be causing the issue and I'd start looking there myself.

Something IN or added to the raw water before they distribute it to all his neighbors (assuming he doesn't have a well in his yard)? Interesting.

Revenantwing said:
But sometimes even after doing my normal water changes he might get them after. When it does happen i just add stress coat

Curiously, have you used any medications, and are you sure it isn't something that hasn't completely healed and keeps coming back?

no i havent used any medications.

I use a gravel cleaner and i just suck up the water to a bucket. I use Prime

I'm not an expert in fish illnesses (but could pass for one when it comes to municipal water :) ) but my first instinct would be to quarantine the fish, for better observation, to make sure it is fully healing, to reduce other stresses.

no i havent used any medications.

I use a gravel cleaner and i just suck up the water to a bucket. I use Prime

Do you vacuum the gravel or just pull water out? A portion of gravel should be cleaned at each PWC. Forget the bacteria in the gravel, the gunk from fish and the tank in general can collect and create a nasty mix that is not good for your fish. Remember to, that the filter only cleans the water, so it's up to you to get the rest.

yes i clean the gravel every time i change the water. Sometimes im surprised when i see how much gunk comes out from 1 spot!!!

Revenantwing said:
yes i clean the gravel every time i change the water. Sometimes im surprised when i see how much gunk comes out from 1 spot!!!

Been there! In my case I was folllowing the feeding instructions on the side of the flake food. They sell a ton of food that way! Probably the same company makes replacement filter cartridges now that I think about it...

i just feed mine 2-4 pellets twice a day and i switch up between 2 types of food and freeze dried brine shrimp

Back
Top Bottom