Sand - how much for a 55?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think it's preference to a certain degree. I have 120 pounds of black Tahitian moon sand in my 75 gallon African cichlid tank.

Also, I heard darker color is better than lighter. Is this true?

Some prefer black because it helps make colors pop. It's really what you want. That's what it boils down to. If you look at my photo albums you can see my tank with natural gravel and then sand. I like it much better with sand and another plus with sand is I get to watch them dig, it's interesting to watch then rearrange my tank.

On a 55 gallon tank, figure on 0.5 cubic feet of sand per inch of depth. This will give you plenty of sand to lose while rinsing. Mathematically, it is .36 cubic feet of sand per inch, but you never get 100% of what you buy into your tank. The bag of sand will provide you with the volume as well as the weight. You want to measure by volume to be sure.

I like it much better with sand and another plus with sand is I get to watch them dig, it's interesting to watch then rearrange my tank.

If you like to watch fish dig you should get a tilapia buttikoferi, I have one that I swear digs 24hrs a day. The only time he stops is when he decides to attack the filter or lights. He makes trenches all through the tank, a regular construction crew. I always try to keep the substrate kind of angled down towards the front glass, but this bugger takes all of his construction debris and spits it at the glass and makes big piles. I watch all the time and have thought it would be neat to see what a bunch of them would do in a tank, if they wouldn't kill each other!

I have a canister filter, hob bio filter and under gravel filter. If I change over to sand I would have to remove the ug filter. Will I need to add another filter to a 55 g?

ditch the UG filter. You most likely won't need to add any filtration. What are the GPH of the filters you currently have? If your total GPH is 220 or more than you are fine with the canister and HOB.

I also have a 55 gallon mine is a long tho I think. I used 2 20 pound bags and I have the perfect amount I'd say

Is there anyone that has natural golden sunset sand in their aquarium? I am interested to use this, any opinions would b appreciated or if anyone has pics of their aquarium with this sand. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom