Sand Star disintegrating?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Newbysaltwater

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just received a set of new sand stars through the mail yesterday. Upon arrival one appeared to have a bite out of it. It was losing "green" interior material. I thought it would be fine and regrow it's leg if I kept it in a qt. Watching it today, the rest of the star is falling apart! It shows signa of each leg almost disintegrating. The leg with damage fell apart in to two pieces, no biggy, but now the other arms are deteriorating quickly. My other star is fine, no problems. What the heck is going on?...:(
Oh yeah, tank readings...
Ammonia .25 (just put several clean-up "critters" in yesterday otherwise 0 is always maintained)
Nitrite 0
Nitrates 40
ph 8.0

it's dying. it's usually what happens to sand sifting stars. they don't belong out of the ocean. they usually starve to death in our closed systems, but that one is probably dying from the stress of shipping/captivity.
also- you have toxic ammonia in your tank. no matter what livestock you add to the tank you should not see ammonia. there is another problem besides some snails and crabs.

Got it. I was afraid of that. Thanks. A strange way to die don't you think... Drifting off into nothing.

Anyway, is there a star you would suggest? I don't have any live coral, just dead and no live rock, seeding rock is my next project. Not quite experienced enough for that.

well, strange in general, yes, but not strange for a starfish. haven't you been to the LFS lately and looked in the starfish tank? every so often (more frequently than i'd like to see) you'll see them disintegrating.
i would suggest a black or red serpent star. they are quite hardy and will take food from your hands. all others reef safe stars are extremely difficult to keep alive.
btw, don't go for the green brittles though..they are fish eaters.

Back
Top Bottom