Sand substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RyanBenson

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I got some sand substrate for my tank and it says it fits a 20 gallon tank per bag mine is a 55 so I got the appropriate amount of sand. My question is, when I clean my tank, I know I can't use my siphon vacuum but I've read a little bit and I read something about stirring it? Please help? :)

Man I really like to help you out, but I don't know about sand:)
I'm getting curious about this too

I have sand substrate and I use my syphon on it. Never heard that you couldn't? Most of the waste stays on top of the sand. So I just go along the top like a vacuum. After I get the debris on top I use my fingers like a rake through the sand wait for it to settle and go over it with the syphon again. I do this until I think it's clean enough. Never had a problem with my syphon and I've doing it this way for years.

My tank has sand and this is how I do it.

Weekly water change = about 50% and during this I siphon out as much dirt as possible.
Every 5 weeks or so, I change about 80% of the water and it follows this pattern:

1) remove 20% of the water and keep the fish stock in this
2) remove some water for cleaning tubes, filter parts, tank rocks, driftwood, etc
3) remove as much of the remaining water and discard
4) some water will be left in the tank and I stir up the sand and drain the dirty water
5) add some of the water from step 2 and repeat Step 4
6) once the sand is washed, I add new water
7) add the water & fish from Step 1 and hope everything settles down nicely!

If there is an easier way to do this, I'm keen to learn and also avoid any missteps I might be making.

I look forward to comments from other members.

Thanks,

Mike

My tank has sand and this is how I do it.

Weekly water change = about 50% and during this I siphon out as much dirt as possible.
Every 5 weeks or so, I change about 80% of the water and it follows this pattern:

1) remove 20% of the water and keep the fish stock in this
2) remove some water for cleaning tubes, filter parts, tank rocks, driftwood, etc
3) remove as much of the remaining water and discard
4) some water will be left in the tank and I stir up the sand and drain the dirty water
5) add some of the water from step 2 and repeat Step 4
6) once the sand is washed, I add new water
7) add the water & fish from Step 1 and hope everything settles down nicely!

If there is an easier way to do this, I'm keen to learn and also avoid any missteps I might be making.

I look forward to comments from other members.

Thanks,

Mike

Thanks mike! Ill consider this!

I have sand substrate and I use my syphon on it. Never heard that you couldn't? Most of the waste stays on top of the sand. So I just go along the top like a vacuum. After I get the debris on top I use my fingers like a rake through the sand wait for it to settle and go over it with the syphon again. I do this until I think it's clean enough. Never had a problem with my syphon and I've doing it this way for years.

Oh I see, well I just heard that it will suck up the sand with the water if you are to clean it like actual gravel substrate! But I will definitely try this once I have it all set up! Thanks!!

Oh I see, well I just heard that it will suck up the sand with the water if you are to clean it like actual gravel substrate! But I will definitely try this once I have it all set up! Thanks!!

I work it in a circular pattern to minimize the amount of sand it touches. Kind of looks like a cyclone sucking up all the debris.

This depends on the sand you are using. Playsand tends to be fine and can be completely sucked up by a gravel vac. PFS on the other hand is generally coarse enough to get sucked up about 1/2 up the gravel vac and then fall back to the substrate. A great way to aerate thick sand beds.

This depends on the sand you are using. Playsand tends to be fine and can be completely sucked up by a gravel vac. PFS on the other hand is generally coarse enough to get sucked up about 1/2 up the gravel vac and then fall back to the substrate. A great way to aerate thick sand beds.

Ill post a pic of the sand
I bought! Maybe you can tell me if it is good or not??

Back
Top Bottom