Sand vs rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Texasreef

Aquarium Advice Regular
I set up a 90 gallon African cichlid tank a few months ago using some beach pebbles from home depot rather than typical gravel. At first I thought it looked pretty cool, different from other set up's that I've seen. The juvies I put in the tank seemed to like being able to get down in the cracks between the rocks. What I did not anticipate was how difficult cleaning out this set up would be.. Doh! I've been reading a lot about sand bottoms and that some cichlids like them. Are there any benefits to sand vs typical aquarium gravel in a cichlid tank? I also added some fake silk plants to add some color, do cichlids like live plants? If so any particular type? Here's a pic of the set up right now so you can see the pebbles I was talking about..

Attachments

• image-3538221288.jpg
    image-3538221288.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 112
Nice tank!!! A decent amount of sand vs gravel is personal liking. However, some African cichlids like to dig so sand would be a better choice for them. What specific fish do you have in there?

Mixed mbuna is what the lfs had them listed at. I have 2 peacocks for sure a pink one they called a strawberry and a peach colored one. I also have a red tail shark, jaguar cat, and a jack dempsey that I recently rehoused to that tank from my Oscar tank. I was a bit nervous about adding him but so far so good. I'll post some pics of the mixed, maybe you guys can help id.

image-1036133790.jpg

The jack D

image-470039167.jpg

Mixed

image-4034017803.jpg

Mixed, with an orange one lower in the shot

IMO sand or gravel. I happen to like natural small gravel however think sand looks great too! I just have my preference. I do wanna comment though my first saying you have a nice setup but I would think about either sand or smaller gravel, they like to dig and thats some big gravel or rocks as substrate. But all your rock in first then add sand or small gravel, you'll be amazed at all the digging they will do. Here's on of my guys making a little den.

Tank is awesome non the less though... GREAT job!

image-1331398749.jpg

The one on the left was sold to me as a strawberry peacock, here's a slightly better pic of her. She doesn't come out of that hole much.

Attachments

• image-3343531542.jpg
    image-3343531542.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 111
Texasreef said:
The one on the left was sold to me as a strawberry peacock, here's a slightly better pic of her. She doesn't come out of that hole much.

Oh wow! I bet she's gonna show some nice colors! Awesome

If I go with sand is pool filter sand what I'd want to use? Do I need to remove them while sand settles?

Convict2161 said:
IMO sand or gravel. I happen to like natural small gravel however think sand looks great too! I just have my preference. I do wanna comment though my first saying you have a nice setup but I would think about either sand or smaller gravel, they like to dig and thats some big gravel or rocks as substrate. But all your rock in first then add sand or small gravel, you'll be amazed at all the digging they will do. Here's on of my guys making a little den.

Tank is awesome non the less though... GREAT job!

Thanks, your tank is amazing!

Texasreef said:
If I go with sand is pool filter sand what I'd want to use? Do I need to remove them while sand settles?

I never used sand but a lot use pool filter sand. And I don't believe you have to take them out. If you add it slowly. If it makes you feel better and it's easy to do. Catch them and put them in a g
5 gallon bucket or if you have another tank. Just add the sand slowly and then add the fish back. I've seen a lot of tanks with sand. I like the white sand an black sand looks pretty cool. But your going for natural right?

Well the pebbles are kind of dark so if I switch to sand I'll probably try to find something light colored... I could still stack some of the pebbles up in a corner or something for the juvies that really like them. I have an albino that swims under them from gap to gap

Texasreef said:
Well the pebbles are kind of dark so if I switch to sand I'll probably try to find something light colored... I could still stack some of the pebbles up in a corner or something for the juvies that really like them. I have an albino that swims under them from gap to gap

I say go for it of that's what you wanna do. I think it will only look that much better! :)

And that's a great idea to stack some in the corner it will give it an even more natural look also!

Any idea how big the mixed guys will get? The lfs said they'll be a "good size", I tried to find "good size" on my tape measure but I can't seem to locate it. Also can you check out my stock list and tell me if I'm close to maxed on this 90?

1 mature jack Dempsey
1 juvie red tail shark
1 juvie jaguar cat
2 juvie peacocks
11 juvie mixed mbuna

I think there's room for a few more but I want to make sure I'm stocking for the size they will get as I have no plans to upgrade this tank to a bigger size.

Texasreef said:
?..I also added some fake silk plants to add some color, do cichlids like live plants? If so any particular type? Here's a pic of the set up right now so you can see the pebbles I was talking about..

Since I didn't see a response about live plants, I'll chime in. Count on them being dislodged, eaten, or otherwise destroyed. The only plant I have had last more than a week is Java Fern, due to the bad taste. Java fern still gets nipped at and will eventually begin looking pretty sorry.

Ovid said:
Since I didn't see a response about live plants, I'll chime in. Count on them being dislodged, eaten, or otherwise destroyed. The only plant I have had last more than a week is Java Fern, due to the bad taste. Java fern still gets nipped at and will eventually begin looking pretty sorry.

Thanks Ovid, maybe I should stick with the silks than..lol.

Got 2 new fish on the way home.. Couldn't resist.

Attachments

• image-2908470325.jpg
    image-2908470325.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 73
I have both in my tank, just make sure with sand you stir it on occasion. Pockets of toxic gas can get trapped under the sand and can hurt the fish. I couldn't pick either so I did half and half ;)

Back
Top Bottom