sand???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I only use sand GM. No gravel for me. When I move I am replacing the gravel in my betta tank with sand. So I have 3 tanks now sanded, 5 after we move.

SO african ciclids should not be with silica?
What sand has silica which doesn't... Beach sand has silica? I am not a bioligist or chemist I have no idea what sand has what properties.

From what I gathered I should use Pool Sand for my african cichlids. IF I'm mistaken warn me before the weekend when I will be buying it all.

thanks,
Rinaldo

I'm not sure in the components of sand. All I know is that someone recommended pool filter sand, so I bought it and haven't had any problems with it since. I could look at the bag, but I'm not at my apt right now. I'd just go with it. I did my African tank, the 29 gal tank, and the 10 gal tank without issue. Next is the Betta tank. :D But that won't be for a couple weeks. No point in buying a 50 lb bag for 5 lbs of sand. :D

I believe most of the sand that are used in aquariums (play, pool filter, quartz, etc.) are silica based. Using silica based sand with cichlids is quite alright. In fact, most of the sand that is in tanks with cichlids IS silica based. I, myself, have pool filter sand which the cichlids love.

FF, you can send me the extra if you don't use it all with the betta tank. :lol:

I wouldn't use any other type substrate now for my tanks.

I got a 50lb bag of play sand at HD for $2.35. It looks great, was easy to rise, and my cories love playing in it.

Same here jersey. I won't use any other substrate. I think it's just beacuse its easier to maintain. Well, IMO it is. I'm setting up my 55 gal tank in July and that's when I will buy the 50 lb bag. So at that point it won't go to waste. But to buy it just for the Betta tank, man I don't even want to think about having to move an opened bag of sand. I wish they sold it in smaller bags because I don't think 45 lbs will be enough sand for the 55. Our last 55 gal tank we used 70.

Yeah, I am with you on the smaller bags. Even if they were in 20 lb. bags, it would be better. I just bought 50 lbs recently to go in a 29 gallon. I guess I should buy a 10 gallon just for the extra sand. :eek:

I bought two 50 lb bags last time just incase. Sand doesnt really go to waste down here, with all the hurricanes and floods :lol:

We left ours on the back porch after I did the 10 gal tank and ants got into it and I REALLY don't want to put that into the tank. Knowing me I'd miss a couple ants and my fish would have lunch!

With the leftover sand I could always just add it to the 150 gal tank. They haven't hit glass yet with their digging, but this will just give them more to play with. :D

Fishyfanatic said:
Cichlids seem to like sand better. They will dig around in it and move it around. The sand is easier for them to move it seems.

We have carib sea sand in our 80 Gallon and I bought Mollys to cycle the tank with they love it too it is much easier to maintain and I have not had any filter issues or anything the sand so far is much cleaner looking even with minor Alae growth going on I just turn it a little and the Algae is gone from it.

sand looks more natural too than the funny looking gravel you buy in all the stores we do have gravel in our 29 gallon and had gravel for years in our old 35 gallon tank so i have a good bit to compare to as well.

Back
Top Bottom