Sandy looking stuff on fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yup, Tropical fish can do 86 w/o a problem. The heat will keep the offspring/secondary carries from reproducing/and kill them. If it's stubborn, add salt at required ratio's, med's should always be last resort. Like humans, last thing you want to do is build up medicine resistant ich that lurk in your tank lol.
Don't forget to keep heat up for a good 10 days after last spot disappears, then GRADUALLY lower it :)
Good luck!

they were asking if the otos could handle salt, not the heat. its not a good idea to use salt with otos, just like any other freshwater catfish, they are sensitive to salt

Thanks for the info. I'm trying the heat/gravel vac water change approach first. I will use salt or meds as a last resort.

I didn't know that freshwater fish can handle 86 degrees. I guess I assumed this because when I had to treat my tank, I was told to bump temp to 80-82 and add salt. I have Corys and a Pleco and they tolerated salt fine. My normal temp is 75-77 degrees.

Back
Top Bottom