Sandy looking stuff on fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lbirath001

Aquarium Advice Freak
There is this white sandy stuff on my fish. Not suresh at it is but it looks like its getting worse. None of the other fish have any of it on them.

Attachments

• image-4175996565.jpg
    image-4175996565.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 76
  • image-1957825802.jpg
    image-1957825802.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 70
  • image-3499871631.jpg
    image-3499871631.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 71
It's probably Ich. You might want to quarantine that fish so it doesn't spread it to the whole tank. Or better yet, you might want to treat the whole tank just to be sure. You'll have to look up how to treat it.

It's probably Ich. You might want to quarantine that fish so it doesn't spread it to the whole tank. Or better yet, you might want to treat the whole tank just to be sure. You'll have to look up how to treat it.

+1.
It looks like ich. Put that fish into a qt tank and raise the temp to around 86+ degrees F ( Slowly!! ). Then just follow all the rules on how to cure ich, etc, etc.
I would also treat that whole tank as well.

+1 to ich. If it is on multiple fish treat the whole tank. Otherwise if it's on just that one quarantine in and raise the tank to the high 80's. also, add some aquarium salt to your tank. I don't remember the exact measurements you'll have to google that.

if one fish has it they most likely all have it but arent showing signs yet raise the temp to 82 degrees and add salt you can also add ich killer when it looks like they have fallen off to be safe

If one fish has it, the whole tank has it.

To treat:
Raise heat slowly to 86f (no lower).
Increase aeration (warmer water holds less oxygen).
Increase number for water changes and gravel vacs.
Leave the heat up for at least one week after the last spot is seen.
Decrease temp to normal.

No meds or salt is usually needed.

http://www.aquahobby.com/articles/e_ich2.php

Last edited:
I am also trying to do an in fish cycle as well. Will this affect it?

No. You should be doing water changes anyway. Make sure to temperature match (to within a couple of degrees) the new water to that of the tank water. Don't use any equipment on other tanks (if you have any) or they will be infected also. Ich is common in new, unstable tanks. It can be a stressful situation for the fish which leaves them more susceptible to disease.

If one fish has it, the whole tank has it.

To treat:
Raise heat slowly to 86f (no lower).
Increase aeration (warmer water holds less oxygen).
Increase number for water changes and gravel vacs.
Leave the heat up for at least one week after the last spot is seen.
Decrease temp to normal.

No meds or salt is usually needed.

http://www.aquahobby.com/articles/e_ich2.php

So technically, the heat is the best way to get rid of ich? And meds and salts just speed up the process?

So technically, the heat is the best way to get rid of ich? And meds and salts just speed up the process?

IMO yes. Salt helps to kill it but the amount it takes is more than most tropicals can handle. Salt also helps to avoid secondary infections that can occur where the ich leaves the fishes body. It's not a necessity IMHO. Some fish are sensitive to salt. Medication is only needed when heat and salt does not work. There are some strains that are heat resistant. I would only use meds as a last resource.

IMO yes. Salt helps to kill it but the amount it takes is more than most tropicals can handle. Salt also helps to avoid secondary infections that can occur where the ich leaves the fishes body. It's not a necessity IMHO. Some fish are sensitive to salt. Medication is only needed when heat and salt does not work. There are some strains that are heat resistant. I would only use meds as a last resource.

Thank you!!!! Alot of great info.

Ok. Thanks. So if I get ich, hopefully I don't need to spend money on meds and salt. And pray that my heater does the job. :D

What's the max temp a pleco can take

Not sure if this is ich or sand. It was not there 12 hours ago. Current temp is 88 degrees. Lost my pleco :(. All other fish are active at the moment.

Attachments

• image-3091565840.jpg
    image-3091565840.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 45
Not sure if this is ich or sand. It was not there 12 hours ago. Current temp is 88 degrees. Lost my pleco :(. All other fish are active at the moment.

I'm sorry to hear that. I wouldn't go any higher than 88. Make sure there is extra aeration. Ich is only visible to the naked eye while on the fish. That would be sand. :)

I'm sorry to hear that. I wouldn't go any higher than 88. Make sure there is extra aeration. Ich is only visible to the naked eye while on the fish. That would be sand. :)

I'm pretty sure there is enough aeration. Here is the fish with the only visible ich on it.

Attachments

• image-3565168362.jpg
    image-3565168362.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 44
  • image-2752448254.jpg
    image-2752448254.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 44
86 degrees is way too hot. Honestly, my local fish expert of 25 years told me to always start with salt for treatment at this ratio: 1 TBS Aquarium Salt PER Gallon (Yes, Tablespoon!) bump temp to 80. All freshwater fish can handle 1 TBS / gallon for treatment. If the salt does not help, or symptoms get worse, then try medication. Do water changes at least weekly, or more if needed, but during salt treatment, replace salt removed in water change. After treatment your weekly water changes will remove the salt. He said always start with salt as a first treatment for ANY illness. So I do that. I had to do this 3 weeks ago and look at the types of fish I have in my signature. Good Luck!

I'm battling ich too. I read on multiple sites that you can't use salt if you have oto's in your tank. What do you guys think? I just noticed it today so I bumped up my heater and did a w/c. I've been advised to change the water every other day using gravel vac to suck up the spores before they can multiply (or whatever exactly it is that they do).

They are a small algae eating catfish.

And yes, the fish can handle the 86 degrees just fine while treating ich.

Back
Top Bottom