Sarah's 5 gallon pico reef build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rebelyeller89

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I'm finally (almost) ready to start on my 5 gallon pico build. Yay!
A question though, I'm using Black Diamond sandblasting sand, and the idea to do a deep sand bed in there just occurred to me. Is there any reason why it wouldn't work?
Just wondering since its not "legit" sand...

Never heard of it used in a tank but definitely rinse it well as I'm sure you know and post pics once its up mind if I ask what lighting and stock u plan to have? I have a 6 gallon edge cube among a few others

I have a ten watt 50/50 cf bulb that I put over the tank while in was a freshwater planted. It really made the plants grow like crazy.
Then I was also thinking of adding, or switching to, this light http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=290669321307&index=15&nav=SEARCH&nid=43715764447

As far as stock list goes I haven't thought a lot on that. Really I was thinking coral, a crab, a snail and maybe some shrimp? I'm a little sketchy on putting a fish in that small of a tank. Maybe a goby/shrimp pair?

Definitely get a goby and pistol shrimp they are very fun to watch and id suggest a pair of emerald crabs and some nassarius snails maybe a turbo snail or 2 that light looks nice I may get one to my 6 gallon edge cube only has the 2 stock halogen bulbs and a 12 inch attenic t8 surprisingly its working nicely

Im looking to get some rock for Bulk Reef Supply for this tank, and some to go in my 28 gallon as well. Anyone have experience with their Pukani rock? I've seen some stuff about having to "cook" it? Do you really have to or can it just cycle in my tank?
OR should I just get the reef saver, which is a little cheaper, but not quite as pretty (and I haven't seen anything about cooking it)

rebelyeller89 said:
Im looking to get some rock for Bulk Reef Supply for this tank, and some to go in my 28 gallon as well. Anyone have experience with their Pukani rock? I've seen some stuff about having to "cook" it? Do you really have to or can it just cycle in my tank?
OR should I just get the reef saver, which is a little cheaper, but not quite as pretty (and I haven't seen anything about cooking it)

Get rock from reefrocks.net trust me. I've used all oath before. The Pukani was used in my 55g tank about 13lbs. I liked it but it felt like I got less for my money. Then I ordered 7lbs of reef saver rock for my 10g and it was waay too little. Then I ordered reef rock from reefrocks.net and loved it. I only got 10lbs to add to my 25g but I only ended up using 3 pieces from the 10 pieces I received. Go with reefrocks.net You won't regret it.

You say the reef saver was to small? Would that work better for me since it's a 5 gallon hex?
What is the average size of the reefrocks.net rocks?

rebelyeller89 said:
You say the reef saver was to small? Would that work better for me since it's a 5 gallon hex?
What is the average size of the reefrocks.net rocks?

Less than 4lbs of reefrocks was equal to 7lbs of reefsaver rock. If you check my 25g build thread you can see the reef saver rock in the first few pages and the reefrocks in the last few pages

Dang that rock does look nice. The rock by the pound seems ace. I should've ordered that for my nano build before I started to cycle. I bet 10 lbs of that porous stuff would've filled my 10g up nicely.

rebelyeller89 said:
Yeah, you got me leaning towards that rock now. Looks nice. Might you remember how much shipping was?

$8 on rock under 30lbs and anything over is free

Ahem, just an update. I heard you can convert ghost shrimp to saltwater sooo I decided to try that out with 5 in this tank. So that's why I haven't started cycling or anything.
Also FYI the shrimp are up to 1.10 salinity and they seen happy as clams.

rebelyeller89 said:
Ahem, just an update. I heard you can convert ghost shrimp to saltwater sooo I decided to try that out with 5 in this tank. So that's why I haven't started cycling or anything.
Also FYI the shrimp are up to 1.10 salinity and they seen happy as clams.

That is so neat! Never knew you could do that!!

Back
Top Bottom